Wednesday, June 21, 2023

And so it goes

 Old house have issues. So do new houses - just different ones.

This the continuing saga of the great German cockroach infestation of 2023: At the advice of the exterminator, I have saran wrapped my toilets, sealed the drains, and removed the appliances that involve water (dish washer, fridge, washing machine.) But of course the builder built the island in place and it can't be moved without detaching it. Fox had to remove the pantry door, the doors off the freezer sections, the handles off the fridge sections, and the front door to get the fridge out of its nook and out of the house. So on my to do list I have added "make island NOT attached".

They are scheduled for next week to come back out and napalm treat the house again.Y'all pray for me.

I know a year from now this will be a distant if unpleasant memory. A mere molehill in the rear view mirror. But right now its front and center in the windshield and looks like a mountain. I know there are worse problems and I'm grateful that I don't have a pending deadline of an expiring lease or anything, but I was really hoping to be moving in next week. Oh well. 

3 comments:

Paula C said...

That is terrible! It is a shame the inspector didn't find this issue earlier. It does sound like a nightmare. But this too shall pass.

Anonymous said...

My mother had an issue with the seal on her back door that the inspector missed. She was (at least) refunded the inspection fee. There may have been more compensation.

Did the sellers disclose? Have they had services in the past that prove they knew?

I am not sure once you have this level of infestation, that it is fully fixable. If you have not already done so, I would find out what recourses are available to you. And I would take action.

Vickie

Mrs Swan said...

Thankful that you are able to wait to move in till this is taken care of. Yes, they do live in electronics as well. There should be some kind of gel the exterminator can use as well that will help kill them. I didn't really realize that other states could have this problem though. I know it happens in FL all the time. My brother is dealing with it since when his daughter moved in and brought them with her years ago. He gets it mostly under control then they pop back up to say hello.