Thursday, July 06, 2006

Mixed bag

Went to the gym this morning as our walk/run was rained out. Lordie but we’ve been getting the rain. I tried the new Treadmaster. Now I know how the sprinters feel riding up the Alp d’Huez. Five minutes on that thing and my calves were screaming for vengeance, shin splints were setting in, and I was praying lightening would strike the thing so I could stop. I finished my workout on the dreadmill, which felt petty wonderful after the 21st century torture device.

Food is okay, the house is devoid of all but fake beer, and I had a good workout this morning. My newest project is painting decorative wall hangings for our pavilion. I plan to take pictures of all my most recent projects this weekend and get the pics loaded up onto my yahoo photo site. Who knew I was so artsy/craftsy?

I set up a table in my living room so I could paint while sitting with the hub and watching the Tour. I am a happy camper. It feels like years since I’ve really put a lot of time into working on sewing & decorating projects – I’d forgotten how much I enjoy it.

It was funny listening to our friends from Ohio – people from the north are always shocked at how green it is here. It is amazingly green – soft focus and it looks a bit like a jungle. I love that about living here. This really is a pretty part of the country.

Unfortunately, this rainy weather makes me want to putter about the house. I’d love to be outside – running, riding my bike, but the weather has been too crazy the past week or so. BJJ isn’t really a workout per se, although the cardio kickboxing class is very good. BJJ is very frustrating for me – I can’t tell yet if its b/c I’m new and not very good, or if I genuinely don’t like it. I feel like I’m not exercising enough. I’ve set a goal for myself: 20 miles per week walking and/or running. I have a very good 2 mile loop, and 4 miles 5 times per week sounds easy enough. I’m only lifting twice per week (if I’m lucky) – I’m not sure that’s enough. Like I said, I feel like I’m not doing enough. I feel tweaks coming on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've replaced normal beer in the house with an alcohol-free weizen beer that has about half the calories. They advertise it as an isotonic drink, e.g. good for athletes. In any case it tastes good after a hot workout.