Friday, July 06, 2012

Obsessing about the uncertainty of the future won’t change the outcome.

I’ve had a lot on my mind lately. Some is the simple ‘Am I on track to lose a couple of pounds’, some the ‘where will the hubs and I be in 5 years’, and some of the ‘where will our son be in 5 years’ variety.

It’s a lot to obsess over. I’m getting a little too caught up in outcomes and instead I need to focus on the actions and on the process. It’s not that things aren’t necessarily headed in a good direction, it’s more than I am spending too much effort worrying. It’s easy to say “don’t worry”, but that can be a tall order for those of us that are naturally prone to obsessing. Anal retentive can be useful, but it can also be tiring.

I’m a natural born worrier – it’s not that I’m a “glass half empty’ person, I’m a “the glass may be half full but it might fall off the table so should I construct special sides” person.

What is the antidote? I think gratitude. And I have so much to be grateful for. A big one is that despite all the upheaval, the bills are paid, our son is (mostly) okay, and our marriage is stronger than ever after some really rough times. And we are planning our future, as opposed to just going along the way we were, which I think will make us both happier in the long run, but change can also be scary.

No comments: