I've been dealing with some very unexpected feelings lately and haven't felt ready to write about it until now.
To recap: I had my bridge removed and 2 additional teeth pulled. My front 2 teeth were knocked out in a swimming pool accident when I was 15 and I've had a bridge every since. The 2 teeth next to them held the bridge but over the years, the pressure was killing those teeth. They had to come out this time as well. Bone grafting was done and once that heals, I will have implants.
But I am looking at roughly 8-10 months of a temporary appliance. I knew that up front, but I didn't realize that I would't be able to chew with this thing in. I can't bite any food because I am missing my 4 top front teeth. So everything has to be cut up.
I didn't know up front that eating with this in would not work for me. So going out to eat is very uncomfortable since I have to remove my teeth. This I avoid any social situation involving food.
But the biggest shock is how I feel about myself. The first time I looked in the mirror, my initial reaction was "I look like Willie on 'Swamp People'." I felt robbed of my femininity and my physical attractiveness. Now, I don't feel particularly pretty at my current weight, but I don't feel like a troll either. And after losing 30 pounds I was feeling pretty good!
Not any more. I feel like a part of my womanliness is gone. And its a part I never thought would reside in my teeth, you know?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your teeth. It's totally normal to feel that way - I had a conversation with my dentist once when I had to have a tooth pulled, and she said that losing teeth is a big symbolic thing for humans, it represents death! She said that most people are much more upset about it than the reality accounts for. Thank goodness we live in a time when we CAN get implants and appliances, and not have to through the rest of our lives with gaps (I have one implant and one entirely missing molar). Which I know doesn't really help, but at least I can say you're not alone...
Thank you for sharing that! I had no idea how this would affect me so I was totally unprepared by my reaction. At least now I know its a "normal" reaction! :-)
Post a Comment