So my mom has been here about a month so far and she's 2 weeks out from her total knee replacement. This hasn't been easy.
First they gave her some meds in the hospital that made her very sick to her stomach, then they gave her some that made her super constipated. Then she pulled a muscle in her back and had to wait 4 days to get something for that.
And she isn't supposed to be left alone, but gets upset when I call a friend over to "baby sit" or help out while I'm working. I think the need and money spent bother her. So there's so much to unpack in this situation. Add to it my husband and I have had exactly one evening to ourselves in that month (we went to dinner last night), so our relationship has taken a hit.
It's like having a newborn, but the newborn is an adult with their own feelings and agenda and fears. My weight is on the same roller coaster as my energy level and emotions. I'm just trying to hang on and not get thrown off the ride.

2 comments:
It is stressful to care for parents. I see what a strain it can be from watching what my friends have gone through. I was fortunate both of parents were self sufficient until the last few months. Each got cancer & it was only the last few months when hospice was called in that it became more difficult. I hope your mother's surgery goes well & recovery quick. I am sure she's anxious to go home & back to her routine. I hope you & the hubby can get more than one date night a week. It is critical for marriage.
I am in the throws of elderly care for my parents. And I am right there with you. Its hard. We are so used to having our parents to talk to and lean on and now they are a shell of who they were. I consider myself lucky because my sibling moved in with them. So we have different rolls that we do and it is working. But just a trip to the doctors with them is so hard on them and us.
Best of luck to you ... don't forget to slow down and breath and reconnect with your hubby.
Post a Comment