“I Can’t do Everything, but I do Everything I Can”
I had a strange exchange with my son in the car this morning on the way to school. He realized that he had forgotten his gloves. Without thinking, I handed him mine and told him he could use them (luckily they were plain grey gloves). He said “Thanks mom. It must be stressful, always making things right for me.” And I answered, “I’m your mom, that’s my job. I can’t do everything, but I do everything I can.” He is such a sweet child – sometimes I think I make my needs a little too known, and sometimes make him feel guilty for things he shouldn’t. He is so sensitive to my feelings, in a truly caring way.
Then I got to thinking about what I had said, and thought “Wouldn’t it be great if I could really apply that simple phrase to all areas of my life?” Think about it.
“I can’t do everything.” Accept that the house won’t be perfect 24/7, that the budget won’t always line up as well as I’d would like (but that doesn’t mean we’re headed for bankruptcy court!), and that I probably won’t be a world class athlete by the time I hit 40.
“I do everything I can.” Do I? DO I give 100% into whatever it is I am doing, whether it be a workout, or eating healthy, or walking the dog, or sitting on my butt watching a tivo-ed “Puppetmaster” horror flick? Do I enjoy the moments, and give it my best? Do I make choices that move me closer to my goals? Or are my goals not really goals at all – are they just day dreams? Which do I want them to be? Do my actions line up?
I know this won't happen all the time (I can't do everything!), but maybe I can move to being more conscious about the choices I make.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment