Monday, August 28, 2006

Goals

I’m back from vacation, the house and garage are cleaned up, and its time to start setting some goals for myself. I haven’t gotten on the scale yet, so I dunno what that will bring, but here are my current thoughts:

1. Weight. There are 17 weeks left in the year. I’d love to finally break the 150 point. That’s a loss of around 10 pounds by year end. That should be doable. More than any specific number, I want to be consistent. To that end, food goals:

2. My big thing at first is to start writing down my food. My planned meals are fine – it’s the extras that kill me – especially in the evenings and weekends. Writing would add a level of accountability. Another big help would be

3. Cut out the beer. Totally for a bit. Vacation saw too much beer – which is fine on vacation but its over!

4. Gym – lift weights twice per week. I can never seem to break into that magic 3 times per week, so I’m gonna quit trying. Instead I plan to focus of 2 good workouts, and maybe a good calisthenics workout on another day to supplement.

5. Running. I’m back at it! I’m slow and still doing mostly walking, but that’s okay. I did 3 miles Sunday and my plan is to build up until I’m doing a long run of 10 miles every weekend. At that point I’ll stop adding distance and start working on speed. No specific run in mind, but I need some structure around my program. That will keep me busy for a bit.

That’s it. Nothing spectacular, but a good start.

I had a very nice weekend. I did a bit of sewing, and I got my cross stitch back out. I haven’t worked on that in years, and it felt really nice. I want to find a good balance between my 2 hobbies of exercise and craft stuff. I tend to do one or the other, but I enjoy both, so I need to balance my time.

Work is very demanding and very busy, but it is also very exciting! I’m feeling more fulfilled in my work than I have in years. I’m tired at the end of the day, but also invigorated, if that makes any sense.

All in all, I give life right now a B+. It would get an A, but (as usual) money is a little tight. A friend invited us out to visit her in Seattle – I wish I could afford it. Oh well, a B+ is mighty darn good!

1 comment:

Jack said...

I think I am sitting at B+ for the same reason (sigh). Your goals sound good and very doable, good luck - we'll be watching ;-)