Teeming with Life
I went out to the car a few minutes ago and it sounded like a rainforest outside!!! Birds everywhere, each trying to chirp over the others. The day today is incredibly bright – the air is comfortable, and the leaves have barely begun to change. The air feels like fall but the look tells you that every living thing is wide awake. Its odd how in just a few days that will all begin to change as fall begins to seriously set in.
This morning was funny – I woke up with a headache, the boy had a sore throat, and the hub is plagued by allergies. Sitting around the breakfast table this morning, we probably looked like a scene from “Leave it to Beaver”, if the Cleavers had spent the prior night partying at Graceland! :-O
Today is the hub’s birthday. I have to confess that both my mom and I forgot! Luckily, she has an AmEx gift card in her purse, so she just had to buy a card. She dropped it off at the house this morning as she dropped her dogs on the way to Georgia. I skipped kickboxing last night to do a little last minute shopping. I was in luck! I found season 6 of “Star Trek: Deep Space 9” (we only have 1 episode left to watch in season 5) AND a boxed set of fans’ favorite top “Klingon” episodes (the hub loves Klingons). It has 2 or 3 shows from each of the 4 Star Treks (nothing from Enterprise). I got 5 cards, one from me, one from the boy, and one from each of the dogs. Each card is perfect for each dog. I made season 6 from people and the K collection from the dogs! We are going out to Sagebru$h for dinner – I checked out their menu online and have a game plan.
I’ve also bought single servings things of flavored salmon & tuna for the weekend, I have some string cheese, mom is getting grapes & bananas, and we’re taking sandwich fixings for Saturday. Sunday will be dicey, but I think Saturday will be fine.
I don’t know if I’ve ever mentioned it here, but I work in a call center (not on the phone). Its kind of interesting as there is a sort of “chicken or the egg” principle at work here: the phone staff is disproportionately overweight. I mean, really overweight. I know that NC is a “fatter” than average state, but this is even more so. I wonder if the job is the cause, or it’s a job overweight people gravitate to because it is so sedentary? Maybe both.
I bring this up because the truth is, my work environment is part of what keeps me on the fitness path. I’ve seen co-workers have WLS and lose weight, but I’ve also seen co-workers become more overweight with time. One lady I used to work with now comes into the building pushing her oxygen tank. That’s an extreme example, but it’s an “in your face” reminder that being overweight has medical consequences. Yeah, we all know that, but seeing it up close brings it home. She’s a nice lady, but she’s killing herself with food. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I realize that I must sound like a broken recode here at time – struggle, get up, fall, struggle, get up…. and on and on. But really, what options do we have? I don’t know that I’ll ever have it all figured out, but I can’t stop working on it. I guess I am my own ultimate “do it yourself project! ha ha ha
Have a good one!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
The ultimate do-it-yourself project, oohh I like that! I used to be the fattest one in my department. Luckily that's not true any more. I still am not as thin as most, but I bet I can run further than all of them!
Post a Comment