Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Just a mish-mash

First off, I have to say what a class act my mom is. Yesterday was my mom's birthday - I felt bad because after she was up half the night Monday taking her best friend to the emergency room for a broken arm and then staying with her & helping out until her son could drive down from the mountains & get home after picking her husband up from the hospital where he had surgery Monday morning (get all that?) - then mom came over to our place to look out for the boy who was sick - because I felt crappy. UGH! Despite all that, she & the boy went out on the boat while I cleaned up a bit & prepped dinner. She said she rode around listening to Christmas music while he slept. Hub grilled us an excellent meal (mixed veggies and shrimp – with a side of rice) and he came home with flowers and a nice card for her, and then we went out for ice cream. She said she had a nice day because she was grateful she had good friends and family she could care for.

In contrast: Last night I asked hub if we should get dirt for his mom for Christmas (I am thankful I can kvetch about her with him.) He said yeah and let's get a bag to go with it. I looked puzzled and he said "you know - dirt bag. get it?" Ha! In short, NO IDEA what to get her for Christmas. I spent more on her than I did my own mother for their birthdays (their birthdays are a week apart and we gave them their gifts at Thanksgiving) and no thank you. And did I mention that for hub’s birthday she had bought a new book in her favorite series, and brought the book (after she read it) unwrapped, and gave it to him for his birthday present. Class act? Not so much. Oh well, at least we can laugh about it.

So many things in my life are going well right now – the boy is doing well in school, the attitude comes and goes – but it goes pretty regularly. Financially things are going smoothly (knock wood) – we’re just going along pretty well. So why am I eating out of control????? I don’t really know. I do know that its pretty frustrating and I also know I can’t afford a new wardrobe! I have no huge “plan”, but I am trying to make some gradual changes.

We're all feeling a bit oogy - weather, allergies, I dunno. Not terrible, just sniffly & run down. Other than that, okay. Well, except I feel like a cow. We got up at 4:45 this morning and went to the gym. I had a super yummy protein shake for breakfast (no lie - it was awesome). I very good start to the day

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm on day 3! Suffering! Misery loves company ya know!