Friday, November 15, 2013

Welcome to our crazy

So, I think I mentioned our son's friend N last year.  They met in school shortly after we moved here.  N had just moved from Sarasota, so they were both new and became friends.  We had N's parents over to dinner and our feeling was "she's nice enough - he's 'crack smoking sheba monkey' level crazy."  As in, totally nutso.

To sum up: dad was on drugs, they used to kick N out on a regular basis, and the child would come over to our house (occasionally banged up, no shoes, etc.).  He has a sister who is now 9.  Last year they kicked him out a few days before Christmas, then called the police claiming he'd run away.  Nothing says the holidays like having cops show up at your house, right?

Since then, they've had him locked up for psychiatric eval twice and a boatload of other crazy stuff.  N has called child protective services, as have the police and a teacher.  Both parents are now on drugs (they've moved on from pot to cocaine)  and yet both children are still there.

Last night N showed up at our house.  He's been living with his parents for a month or so (he drifts between family members, all of whom are nuts).  He left because his parents woke him up at 3 am, wanting him to go buy them more cocaine.  The little girl didn't go to school because no one woke her up and helped her get ready - the parents were asleep from being up all night doing drugs.

It's just crazy and sad.  They've been kicked out/left in the middle of the night owing money on multiple apartments.  I don't think the dad is bothering to work any more and it sounds like the mom is heading the same way.  And yet no grandparent (both sets live here) will step up and take her - they just leave her in the hell.  So how can I be angry at the state for failing her when her own family is doing no better?

N is 17 - his mom withdrew him from school and in Florida kids have no rights so he can't enroll himself or even try to get his GED until he's 18.  So he's just drifting until he turns 18 in February.  He's old enough that we've been able to help him somewhat - the parents can't very well accuse us of kidnapping a 17 year old.

The dad tried calling the police last night, but by now they all know the deal with the parents so they pretty much laughed.  N's plan is to get his car fixed (our son is going to fix it for him) and then go to Sarasota to live with an aunt.

So, I guess he and his girlfriend (who is from Sarasota and is going back home when the car is fixed) will be at our place for the next week or so.

You know, my life sometimes feels stressful or crazy or uncertain.  But there are a few things I know: I am a decent person and I try to do the right things.  My mom, son, husband, and friends are the same way.  If my 9 year old grandchild were in imminent danger, I wouldn't move to Guatemala to avoid dealing with her parents. (Yes, that's what the mom's parents are doing.  And the dad's parents are moving to Puerto Rico.)  Like I said, crazy on both sides.

I may not have a lot of money or stuff, but I will always share what I do have with others in need.

Have a good weekend.

No comments: