Thursday, January 23, 2020

The old calorie calculation mystery


I read a pretty good article yesterday about estimating your caloric needs. It's not just written for weight loss and discusses the pros and cons of a couple of different methods. Whatever method you use, really you need an estimate of your body fat percentage. Without that you are going to be off the mark as lean body mass components and body fat use fat for fuel at very different rates. Being a numbers geek, I thought it was interesting.

Speaking of interesting, I had an interesting conversation with my husband at the breakfast table.  He and his ex did Medifast and both lost a significant amount of weight. He gained the bulk of his back, but she kept hers off for quite awhile before regaining some when they divorced. Anyway, I expressed my frustration at the snail's pace of the scale and he offered to order me Medifast for a month. He said he felt like I could take 10 pounds off, although he admitted I'd probably regain a few when I went off it.

Price aside, would it be worth it? Do something radical to get off those final 10 pounds? Then go back to the way I am eating now? I dunno.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm no expert but losing and regaining can mess with your metabolism. Maybe try some different activity like a bootcamp or crossfit to see if that amps up your calorie burn. I wouldn't chance it but like I said, I'm far from being an expert in the matter!

Mrs Swan said...

Medifast is just very low carb if I recall correctly.
I would drop your carbs to under 20 a day for a week and see how you feel. Would save you a bunch of $$

Anonymous said...

I am a complete stranger to you but don't do medifast!!!

You are doing fabulous! Do not let the scale mess with your mind. Stay the course....it will come off. If anything, try some adjustments with your food like Mrs. Swan suggested.... you have come so far...you are doing so well.

A fan from Canada :)

Anonymous said...

I wouldn’t do it simply because even your husband admitted it is temporary and regaining would not be good. The last 10 are the slowest because you’re s close to goal. Just keep at it and you will get there.

Paula C