Thursday, February 15, 2007

Beware the wrath of an angry mommy

Something happened at my son’s school yesterday that disturbed me greatly. My son goes to a Christian school, so I expect a certain amount of discussion around Christian values. However, one of his teacher’s seems to feel that stating her brand of Christianity as fact is acceptable.

Yesterday, she told my son that he would never see Carmen again because dogs don’t have souls and don’t go to heaven. I mean, can you think of anything more insensitive and inappropriate to say to an 11 year old that just lost a beloved pet? We happen to believe that ALL animals go to heaven because they don’t have free will. They can’t be evil, and therefore that’s where they go when they die. I realize not all Christians believe this, but not all Christians believe her way either. But she stated it as indisputable fact, so you can imagine how upset he was when he got picked up from school. This is the same “teacher” who told the class she hated Christmas because Santa Claus is a lie.

My mom, husband, and I are meeting with her and the principal at 12:45 today.

Baby steps. I had beer after dinner, but no snacks. Please tell me that’s an improvement!

No comments: