Wednesday, October 10, 2007

“Peri-“, a Greek prefix meaning “batpoop crazy”

(Courtesy of WebMD)
What Are the Signs of Perimenopause?
You will know you are transitioning into menopause when you begin experiencing some or all of the following symptoms:

·Hot flashes
Breast tenderness
· Worsening of premenstrual syndrome
·Decreased libido (sex drive)
·Fatigue
· Irregular periods
· Vaginal dryness; discomfort during sex
· Urine leakage when coughing or sneezing
· Urinary urgency (a pressing need to urinate more frequently)
· Mood swings
· Difficulty sleeping

Yeah, 10 out of 11. Impressive, huh? No wonder I feel like an escapee from an asylum. I ordered 2 books about this EXCITING STAGE IN MY LIFE! I have also put in a call to my doctor – I am hoping she will agree to test my hormone levels so we can know for sure where I am and discuss options.

I gained 3 pounds last week – bringing my total weight gain during our “Fit n Fun” activity here at work to 6! Pounds! Something’s gotta give. Jesus. I hate posting here – I don’t want you to have to read about me buying take out pizza for my family or having Frito’s & beer for supper after the hub and boy have left for PTA. I am a wreck. Please read that list above and see if that sounds like a good time to you, cause I’m about ready for a rubber room holiday.

In case you’re depressed after reading that list, here’s a little something to cheer you up, courtesy of http://www.wwdiva.com/:

Deep Fried Mac and Cheese
Recipe Courtesy of Paula Deen

Peanut oil, for frying
1 recipe "The Lady's Cheesy Mac" prepared, chilled in the refrigerator overnight, and cut into 15 bite-sized squares, recipe follows
Flour, for dredging
1 egg, beaten
Plain bread crumbs, for dredging

Heat 2 inches of oil in a large, heavy Dutch oven to 350 degrees F.

Dredge each Cheesy Mac square in flour, then egg, and then bread crumbs to coat.

Fry for about 1 minute on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving.

"The Lady's Cheesy Mac":
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained
2 cups grated Cheddar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Once you have the macaroni cooked and drained, place in a large bowl and while still hot, add the Cheddar. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and add to the macaroni mixture. Pour macaroni mixture into a casserole dish and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Top with additional cheese, if desired.

3 comments:

m said...

My cycle went close to two weeks longer this time. Kinda freaking out about the whole thing. I always thought the M word came in your 50-60's. It would be nice not to have a period though.

Anonymous said...

Hello, my friend. I just wanted you to know I've been thinking of you. I miss you.
Bren

Jack said...

I'm playing catchup after two weeks of vacation. This post caught my eye as my wife seems to be beginning this season of her life. Glad I'm not a woman, I couldn't handle it.