I left my waistline in San Francisco
When the hub got home from work last Wednesday, he arrived to find me cutting out a giant raven from black wool. I remembered that I had a fair amount of black wool I purchased some years back for 50 cents per pound at a fabric warehouse going out of business sale. I wouldn’t have to worry about finishing the edges! So I cut it out & pinned it on, then threw the puppy into my carry on – I needed to finish it before Saturday.
Our flight left at 7 Thursday and was uneventful. I worked on the sewing in the Atlanta airport and our flight left early enough that we were not impacted by the delays & cancellations caused by snowy weather. We arrived in SF about 1:30, collected our bags & rental car, and headed for the hotel. I had printed out directions, but it’s been a while since I’ve driven in the thick of big city downtown traffic, so I was glad I wasn’t driving!
Is there anything more civilized than pulling up to your hotel and being met by a bellman and valet, waiting to assist you? No, there is not. We stayed in the Hilton in Union Square – I highly recommend it. I upgraded our free continental breakfast to the buffet for $10, and my room was upgraded for free. We had a king size bed on the 36th floor with a balcony overlooking the bay. Very nice.
We sat down, had a beer & nested for a bit, then walked the couple of blocks over to Chinatown. We walked pretty much the entire length, poking into shops & checking out side streets. Near the end, we found what we were looking for: a restaurant with poultry hanging in the window & no white faces in sight. Ah, Chinese food, with hot tea. On the way back I stopped in a shop to pick up my mom’s gift: miniature food for her dollhouse (oh, I picked out a bento box with rice & sushi for my house!).
We called our friend E (who we were out there visiting), told her not to eat, and headed for Berkely. We thought it was late, but traffic was still nuts. On the way to her house we drove past a Gracie ju jit su studio and hub seriously wanted to go in - for an autograph I think! Hee hee! Took our leftovers, had a good visit, but I was fading fast so we had to keep it short.
Friday we went down & had breakfast – I had a brotchen with meat & cheese from the “European” section of the buffet, followed by rice, miso soup, & salmon from the “Asian” section, and some wonderful fresh fruit. Why have bacon & eggs when I can have smoked salmon & miso????
Our hotel was right next to the cable car station, so we jumped on & headed down to the wharf, where we walked around quite a bit, had a great lunch (fresh Dungeness crab & clam chowder of course!) and bought the boy’s gift: a black wool fisherman’s cap. Then we rented a “go car” – sort of a motor scooter thingie with seats. It took us on a GPS /voice guided tour of downtown – it was a blast!!! After that I think we took a nap. :-)
Dinner was at a Korean place recommended by a friend. What can I say? WE LOVE KOREAN FOOD!!!
Saturday we got up, ruefully ate our last meal at the breakfast of goodness, and went upstairs so I could finish sewing the buttons on the hub’s costume for that day. Then we said a tearful farewell to our lovely hotel, and headed across the bay to 12th Night.
To be continued….
When the hub got home from work last Wednesday, he arrived to find me cutting out a giant raven from black wool. I remembered that I had a fair amount of black wool I purchased some years back for 50 cents per pound at a fabric warehouse going out of business sale. I wouldn’t have to worry about finishing the edges! So I cut it out & pinned it on, then threw the puppy into my carry on – I needed to finish it before Saturday.
Our flight left at 7 Thursday and was uneventful. I worked on the sewing in the Atlanta airport and our flight left early enough that we were not impacted by the delays & cancellations caused by snowy weather. We arrived in SF about 1:30, collected our bags & rental car, and headed for the hotel. I had printed out directions, but it’s been a while since I’ve driven in the thick of big city downtown traffic, so I was glad I wasn’t driving!
Is there anything more civilized than pulling up to your hotel and being met by a bellman and valet, waiting to assist you? No, there is not. We stayed in the Hilton in Union Square – I highly recommend it. I upgraded our free continental breakfast to the buffet for $10, and my room was upgraded for free. We had a king size bed on the 36th floor with a balcony overlooking the bay. Very nice.
We sat down, had a beer & nested for a bit, then walked the couple of blocks over to Chinatown. We walked pretty much the entire length, poking into shops & checking out side streets. Near the end, we found what we were looking for: a restaurant with poultry hanging in the window & no white faces in sight. Ah, Chinese food, with hot tea. On the way back I stopped in a shop to pick up my mom’s gift: miniature food for her dollhouse (oh, I picked out a bento box with rice & sushi for my house!).
We called our friend E (who we were out there visiting), told her not to eat, and headed for Berkely. We thought it was late, but traffic was still nuts. On the way to her house we drove past a Gracie ju jit su studio and hub seriously wanted to go in - for an autograph I think! Hee hee! Took our leftovers, had a good visit, but I was fading fast so we had to keep it short.
Friday we went down & had breakfast – I had a brotchen with meat & cheese from the “European” section of the buffet, followed by rice, miso soup, & salmon from the “Asian” section, and some wonderful fresh fruit. Why have bacon & eggs when I can have smoked salmon & miso????
Our hotel was right next to the cable car station, so we jumped on & headed down to the wharf, where we walked around quite a bit, had a great lunch (fresh Dungeness crab & clam chowder of course!) and bought the boy’s gift: a black wool fisherman’s cap. Then we rented a “go car” – sort of a motor scooter thingie with seats. It took us on a GPS /voice guided tour of downtown – it was a blast!!! After that I think we took a nap. :-)
Dinner was at a Korean place recommended by a friend. What can I say? WE LOVE KOREAN FOOD!!!
Saturday we got up, ruefully ate our last meal at the breakfast of goodness, and went upstairs so I could finish sewing the buttons on the hub’s costume for that day. Then we said a tearful farewell to our lovely hotel, and headed across the bay to 12th Night.
To be continued….

No comments:
Post a Comment