Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What’s Up

The house is largely done and the realtor is coming this afternoon. I feel like I just finished a marathon. Still a few small-ish things for hub to do, but we’re pretty much there. I am so tired – I can’t believe I am going to Florida this weekend. Oh, to sit on my sofa with a dog, a glass of iced tea, and a cheesy movie on the sci-fi channel!

It is incredibly difficult to live in a house with no books. I finished 2 I borrowed from the library: Asimov’s “Chronology of the World” which was a hoot. He describes the delay in making Utah a state as being caused by the fact that “the inhabitants chose to practice polygamy rather than adultery.” HA! Very funny, easy, educational read. I also finished “The China Study” - I wish I could buy a copy of that book for all my friends and family. Get thee to the library for it!

I have several books on hold at the library and I’m hoping something will come in before we leave Saturday. At home I have the latest Patricia Briggs book “River Marked”, but hub is reading it. I have the next to latest Elizabeth Moon Paksenarrion book I need to start since the newest one should be arriving next week.

I am currently reading “The Sandbox”, which started as a milblog hosted by Doonsbury creator Gary Trudeau. It is reminding me a lot about my own time in the military – bringing back stuff that has been socked away in the back of my mind for a long time. Like what it’s like to search your car for bombs every time you get in it. Regular people can’t possibly relate to stuff like that.

Oh, I got a promotion at work to Senior Project Manager. Woot!

The boy turned 16 on the 28th of February. It’s amazing how the time has gone, and I’ve been realizing how short the time we have left before he moves out on his own really is. I remember wondering if he would be taking his baby bottle to college – thankfully he isn’t. There were things he did quickly, other stuff slowly. I wondered if I would totally screw him up. Fortunately, the creator made kids awfully tough creatures. I tell him that the other stuff just gives him something to discuss with a therapist when he’s my age. Hee hee hee.

No comments: