Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Really good class today!


So, today was #11 (of 12) of my MoveIt! classes at the VA. There are 3 types of classes (so 4 each): physical activity, nutrition, psychology of weight gain & loss. Today was led by a behavioral psychologist and was "Cues and Triggers".

He discussed the importance of identifying what foods, situations, etc. are behavioral cues for you to overeat and ways to overcome them. Some are easy: if you can't stop with the Pringles, don't bring them in the house. Duh, right? But then he talked about the "extinction" method of changing bad habits. An example would be eating on the sofa. If you eat meals at the table but snack on the sofa, then when you have that urge you could: stop, drink a glass of water. Do a check- are you head or stomach hungry? If you are genuinely hungry, pause your show (or wait until it's over) and then get a healthy snack, but eat it at the table and NOT the sofa. I'd never thought of it that way!

I've been doing better by choosing better snacks, but the reality is that the act of sitting on the sofa is a trigger! Why settle of reducing the snack when I can eliminate the habit unless I'm truly hungry? It was a real light bulb moment for me!

Anyway, this guy was probably the best speaker we've had - he did a terrific job! That's one cool thing - these training/discussions are led by experts.  Anyway, it's been a busy but good day so far. I went to class, went home and waited for the cable guy to come & figure out why the internet keeps crapping out, then came over to mom's so she could run some errands in my car (hers is in the shop).

Last night the internet was down AND the cable kept dropping channels - I've been hating on Spectrum for a while - we'll see if replacing hardware today fixes the issues.

Take care!

No comments: