Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Perfectly imperfect


I had a bunch scheduled for myself this week, plus it's been hectic with the husband trying frantically to get everything wrapped up for work. The first couple of evenings this week there was some stress eating. Then yesterday I got hit with a whammie when his class dates were moved - messing up our family trip to the Atlanta aquarium. Now he has to work and won't be able to go - and everything is already purchased. :-(

So after a day of feeling all the negative emotions - anger, sadness, disappointment etc., when t called on the way home and said he needed gas and did I want anything from the convenience store I replied "A 12 pack". I was only half joking. The idea of having a couple of beers and just .. switching off .. sounded lovely. He said no. I immediately changed into a new workout top I'd been saving for an emergency, and got my butt to the gym. I had an awesome workout.

See what I did there? I could've stayed mad with myself for 2 nights of eating some crap I didn't need. I felt my feelings, acknowledged what I would like to have done (at least part of me), but then I made the better choice and turned it around.

If you stay in the "beating yourself up" place, you won't move to a good place. It's easy to do the right thing from a place of caring & desire rather than shame.

Take care.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Some people continue to struggle because when they feel the negative emotions, they go to their comfort which is food. Stress, negative emotions, plans messed up, that is all a part of every day life.
You addressed the emotions, felt the emotions, but you did not let the emotions lead you to food. What does that get anyone anyway? They still feel bad and now they are bloated, nauseous and up 5 pounds.
I think you have nailed it.

neca said...

Yeah, but having done just that for years I understand how difficult it is to make that change. It's easy to stay in the same pattern! I try to acknowledge when I slip, but don't attach shame to it, because that place leaves me feeling trapped and hopeless. If I can just acknowledge it happens its so much easier for me to move on and make a better choice! And when I do I try to highlight it so I remember for next time. :-)