Monday, April 25, 2005

Back to Basics

Stress is an insidious thing. First you are slacking a little on the weights, then you miss a couple of long runs, and the next thing you know you are eating buttered noodles and ice cream for dinner while watching “Dracula 3000”, wondering what happened to your shiny dream of fitness.

But this isn’t a car accident, where you are skidding out of control, powerless. You have power. So do I. I expressed some feelings, and asked for some changes. Message given and received.

So, today is back to basics. Many things have slipped, and I can’t just jump back to where I was – I think that would be too much. Today I am going to do legs at the gym, and go for a walk after lunch. My food is planned. My book “Body Sculpting Bible for Women” came in the mail, so I am going to set up a routine. But this week something in the gym is better than the nothing or half-ass crap that has been passing for weight training for the past 3 weeks.

I have to say I am a little jealous. I read about Lee’s 100 k bike event, and Lynne’s 50 mile ultra. And Jack is getting ready for his first marathon! So much exciting stuff going on here in our fitness blogdom! My goal is to run this upcoming weekend. Having to cancel my marathon plan has left me feeling a little adrift, but that is no excuse.

Back to putting myself first.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I hear ya on the whole slipping leads to major backsliding on the fitness fronts. I have got to get back to the gym. Can you hear the enthusiasm in my voice?

Am curious to see what goal you pick -- running, swimming, biking?

Jack said...

I think every mile we run or bike, every lap we swim, every pound we lift, is like a brick that we add that will eventually build our dream "house" that we live in. We can't pick up the whole pile of bricks at once, we have to go a little bit at a time, making each piece fit.