Monday, April 25, 2005

Of fair weather blogging and goal setting

I have been writing here for over a year now. I post regularly – 4 or 5 times a week unless I’m on vacation. I am not a fair weather blogger. You know the type, they’re all amazingly insightful posts and/or all fired up…. For a while. Then they get tired, or something happens, and they disappear for a month or 2 or forever.

The down side of my compulsion is that you have to read even when I am struggling, or down. (Or not I guess.) Every boring detail gets written about here. Like others, I want to slink away to a corner when I am struggling. But having to come back to this place helps to keep me accountable the way WW meetings do for some. Sorry bout that, but really, this place IS all about me, right? :-)

Megan (who is a fabulous writer BTW), posted a comment to my last post about what my goals were going to be. Well, besides losing the rest of my flabby belly (ha ha), for cardio it will be running. I like riding my bike. I love running. I swim because I have to for triathlons. It is so off my radar until next December! :-O I also need to get better about doing my HIIT, because I’ve been even more slack about that than I have my weights.

For weights, I am going to use the 3 day per week plan in the “Body Sculpting Bible for Women.” I love weights, but my lack of focus has led to boredom. Without a workout partner who also happens to be a personal trainer, my plan has not had a lot of focus. It’s time to change that. I need to get fired up about the weights again. As they say in corporate America “We need to be maniacally focused.” That always makes me think of Jack Nicholson in “The Shining”, but a little maniacal focus might help. I am going to sit down with the book this weekend and write out my workouts.

The book has you do a routine for 2 weeks and then change it up in order to keep your body off balance. Sounds good – I seem to be suffering from a case of “short attention span theater”. That’s my high level plan – specific details will follow.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Thanks Neca, you're sweet.

And as others have said, as a reader it's good to read posts from people as they go through the ups and downs -- makes us feel more normal, I guess!