Not a banner week
This has been a sad week in the blogosphere, with several of my regular blog “friends” coping with loss. Running Jack lost his sister-in-law, Jack Sprat’s good friend Richard is at home for his “final hours”, and Fat Cyclist received the worst news about his wife’s struggle with cancer. I have been feeling down and out of sorts – it makes my heart heavy to see folks I’ve been following and reading about for so long facing such tough times.
Last night we had at least 1 tornado come through – thankfully only 1 death was reported, along with several injuries and loads of damage. Our power was out for a while, but that was it. A co-worker who lives a mile or so from me had her boat destroyed in her driveway, planes were knocked off the runways, and some tractor trailers were overturned on the highway when a tornado touched down on the interstate.
Even more awful although more abstract is the situation in Myanmar. I told my mom last night, as much as I gripe about politics and all, I am certainly glad we live where we do in the world. As I sit in my suburban home concerned about the economy, I feel like I shouldn’t gripe about my weight or my poor food choices or gas prices when these people are facing a situation I cannot even comprehend.
What can I do? Send my sympathy in comments. Send some money – but it doesn’t sound like aid will even get to those poor unfortunate souls. I feel helpless in the face of human tragedy, and yet I feel unsure whether I even have the “right” to feel that way – I mean, my family and I are perfectly safe!
I think I was feeling down to begin with (my emotions tend to be cyclical) and these situations have intensified those feelings of sadness and helplessness. And yet I feel selfish for even complaining about my feelings!
Sorry I don’t have a more positive post.
There is a possibility for more severe weather Sunday – I hope we are able to take my mom out for breakfast.
I hope you all have a safe weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I agree! We are very blessed when we compare our lives to those who live elsewhere.
Post a Comment