Something a colleague said the other really stuck with me. She jokingly (kinda) remarked, "Women really didn't think though this whole equal rights thing. Now we get to work men's jobs AND ours."
We both laughed and went our ways, but isn't that the truth?
Any time I talk to a married girlfriend, and we get into a discussion of what our husbands do (or don't do) around the house, every one of them says that she gets frustrated by the fact that she does most of the work.
I don't mean just cooking or cleaning, but organizing, paying bills, running errands - most of that stuff falls to the woman.
Nobody says they do it all (unless they stay at home), but every friend I have that works outside the home also does the majority of work inside the home, to varying degrees. And every friend I've talked it over with agrees its a source of contention in the marriage.
As hub and I start new jobs and make adjustments in our lifestyle, he is seriously falling short on picking up his share of the deal on the home front. I've tried humor, and there have been some tears. It's not that he doesn't care, I just feel like he doesn't get it.
I'm trying to be patient. We are both coming up a big learning curve in adjusting to our new life. But it makes it harder for sure.
I like my new job. But for the first time in my adult life I am on a team that is mostly women. And its a large enough team that we have "clicks" to some extent. It's not that anyone is mean or anything, I'm just completely unused to this dynamic. It is very different!
I am thankful we are able to stay with my mom while we get settled and look for a place. But that's hard too.
Happiness is mostly about attitude, I know that. And things remain MUCH better than they've been in years. But still, I just wanted to whine a bit.
Now I'm off to water aerobics!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment