Monday, July 09, 2018

Changes


This Monday I was up 0.6 pounds from the weekend. (That makes it so scientific sounding - it's just that my scale does .2 pound increments.) I ate well and enjoyed what I ate, but I also tried to make (mostly) smart choices. The hotel had a pool, and we used both that and the fitness center. I got intentional exercise 6 out of 7 days last week - 3 kettlebell workouts, 3 elliptical sessions, swimming, and several walks. So go me!

I was reading Sean's posts from when I was out of town and one thing he talked about - and has talked about many times - is the fact that he considers what he eats to be a "food plan" versus "diet". It isn't something he intends to go off of at "the end" - rather it's the way he feeds his particular body for optimal health, with a side effect of weight loss. I love that attitude! And while I can't say that my mindset is quite there yet, something I have noticed about this time around is that I have made some pretty significant changes to how I eat, and have maintained them consistently.

The biggest example is that beer used to pop up regularly - not every day, but 1-2 beers (or glasses of wine) happened more often that not. That is no longer the case. That's a HUGE lifestyle change for me.

Another very significant change has been evening snacking. I used to snack every evening. It was such an ingrained habit that I built my calorie intake around having it, because I didn't think it was anything that I would (or could) ever change. I still have a snack most evenings, but these days it is less than 100 calories - generally around 80. And it isn't an automatic "given" that I will have a snack, it's an intentional choice.

I feel like I am making adjustments that will serve me better in the long run, and that feels good!

Take care.

3 comments:

Nixpix said...

Wow, just catching up on your blog. Saw you are down almost 30 lbs. That is great and you are developing some good healthy habits. I also read Sean's blog and find his constant awareness of what he eats amazing.

Nixpix said...

Wow, just catching up on your blog. Saw you are down almost 30 lbs. That is great and you are developing some good healthy habits. I also read Sean's blog and find his constant awareness of what he eats amazing.

neca said...

I know, I count Sean a friend - as well as fantastic inspiration and valuable source of "food for thought." Take care!