Tuesday, November 26, 2019
Don't get discouraged - you don't have an expiration date!
Congrats to Paula who mentioned in the comments that she's had a run of a couple of good days. Awesome! Build on that and keep going!!
There's a lot of food around this time of year that isn't normally. And if you are the sort that wants to enjoy your grandmother's cornbread dressing or those special German Christmas cookies, I'm not going to judge you! It becomes a problem if you can't moderate those foods. Then it's easy to allow the stress of the season or the availability to short circuit your brain and justify having "just one more", which is often more like "all of them."
So there is a whole mindset built up around what a minefield this time of year is. And a lot of "diet" articles reinforce that idea. Well, only if you want it to be! I try to turn the frown upside down: There are foods I am going to want to eat. Because of that I am extra vigilant with my other foods. Little cheats I might normally let slide are off the table.
Here's my food for the week:
Breakfast: a boiled egg chopped up with a little cheese and half a slice of bacon. I mush it up with a half a tablespoon of mayo and a teaspoon of mustard and toast it on a slice of sprouted grain bread. I have my usual 2 cups of coffee with 2 T each of half & half. I forgot my 2 prunes, but I will have them later. I was still hungry when I got to the office so I had 6 raw, unsalted almonds.
AM snack: 1/2 serving (17 grams?) frozen mango chunks with 1/3 c homemade full fat yogurt.
Lunch: 6 oz baked catfish, 3 small boiled new potatoes, sauteed green beans.
Afternoon snack: 3 T tandoori flavored hummus & baby carrots.
Dinner: beef stew (homemade)
PM snack if hungry: 1/2 oz cashews
I have my relatively healthy grain early in the day then taper off. I stay away from processed foods, focusing on foods I've prepared myself and vegetables. My gym schedule is posted on the white board in the kitchen and is non negotiable - not because I believe in "burning off" the indulgences, but because when I am working out I tend to eat healthier and am more focused on my health overall.
I hope you all have a great day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Sounds like a sensible approach!
This time of year is hard. All the holiday foods! But I am giving it my best to keep on track. Today I ran on my treadmill & our Thanksgiving dinner will be more veggies and less junk. There will be some of the traditional food but moderation will be key. If I can prevent a gain this week I will consider that a win.
Paula C
Post a Comment