Friday, October 12, 2012
It’s all unicorns and rainbows from now on!
Weight: Down 1.2 pounds (not weighing every day right now).
Plan for today:
Breakfast: meat loaf
Lunch: vegetable salad with chicken
Dinner: baked pork chops, sautéed brussel sprouts, corn on the cob
Exercise: kettlebells
After I wrote my last post, I didn’t mean to imply that now, everything is magically solved and perfect and shiny. For some people, they seem to be able to resolve that they eat too much and do something about it, end of story. They don’t feel the need to examine too deeply why they eat too much. Or maybe they do but choose not to share it. Either way is okay but lack of understanding hasn’t worked for me.
I lost over 30 pounds, kept it off for years, and still managed to gain it back when too much stress was piled on. To me, it’s kinda like a crying baby: they cry, you go pick them up. Sometimes that’s enough – they stop crying. Other times not so much and you begin the “mommy checklist”: are they: wet, hungry, cold, hot, etc etc? You find the root cause: wet diaper. Great and that’s what I finally did – I found the root cause of the void I tried to fill with food. But now I have to take the next step: change the diaper. Identifying a problem is not the same as solving it.
Having said that, as adults, I think knowing what the problem is gets us down the path of resolution. To use another lame analogy: if you have a flat tire on the side of the road in the middle of a dark, rainy night, don’t you feel better if you know AAA is on the way? Why though? Nothing has changed about your situation! Except now you know help is on the way and that’s enough to give you comfort and reduce your uncertainty.
That’s how I feel now. I know the issue so I can stop casting about trying to fill that void with random stuff and fill it with what is supposed to be there. I have something I am working toward and I am now longer making excuses for why I “can’t” make the changes I want. I am going for it even if that doesn’t necessarily conform with society’s idea of what is logical. I can’t fix it today or even this month – but as adults we’ve gotten accustomed (one would hope) to the idea that true gratification is not instant.
It’s been a long week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment