Monday, October 22, 2012
Kettlebells etc.
I’ve been reading Tracy Reifkind’s blog for many years and I love how she took a very simple (yet powerful!) move in the kettlebell swing, and essentially built a new way of conditioning based upon it. Tracy says the single most important goal you can set for yourself (with kettlebells) is to build a practice of 20-30 minutes, 2-3 days per week of equal work to rest.
I have several of Tracy’s videos, including one (“Give and Take”) that is simply a workout. It is 3 rotations of ladders, with a front half and a back half to each work set. Right now I am only doing the front side of each work set. With this workout, that means I am doing 463 swings in about 35 minutes (including a short warm-up). When I build up to equal work to equal rest, I will be doing 615 swings in that same 35 minutes.
My goal between now and the end of the year is to build up to equal work to rest – the 615 swings. I have devised a way of inching up the ladders to achieve this. There are 3 work rotations: first I’ll add the back half to the first one, then half the second one (even numbers), then half the third, then all the second, and finally all the third.
It sounds kind of convoluted – but this is away to build up gradually. By the end of the year, I will have an equal work to rest kettlebell practice of 35 minutes, 3 days per week. I really love kettlebells – they are a great way to build strength while doing a HIIT workout. I feel like I’m getting double benefit from my workout time.
I know I haven't posted a lot about Overeaters Anonymous. Honestly I'm trying to wrap my head around it - its a LOT of information. I will say I find it a bit of a relief - I know I have issues with food and it is nice to be in a group of folks who GET IT, and are working toward a better relationship with food without judgement.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment