Monday, July 20, 2015

A different version of the same mistake

While different, this week has been as difficult as I've had since the separation.  For so much of my life, I've done what a lot of girls who were raised without a strong, positive male influence do:  looked to men for affirmation. I thought I was past that, but I realized that no, not really.

I didn't realize how much of my sense of identity and self worth was tied into being a successful employee at a major corporation, making a good home, being a good wife and mother.  Now I'm a contractor, living in someone else's home, without a husband, and a grown son who isn't nearly as dependent on me as he once was.

No wonder I'm adrift.  It's not just the level of uncertainty.  It's the realization that I don't have a good handle on who I am.  I feel like my yardsticks for measuring my self worth are gone.  I don't know what I do to add value to the world.

So what's next?  I have no clue.  This last week was a mess.  I HAVE to be done with that - it's getting me nowhere.  I'm just not sure how to proceed.

1 comment:

Gwen said...

awww. :( Any hobbies you've been interested in, in the past, but never developed or actually done much of? Now would be a good time.