Sexed Up Oatmeal
This is what I call my oatmeal. I never liked oatmeal (I can chow down on some grits though). But because I am stubborn and everyone I know kept telling me that oatmeal is the most perfect food on the planet, I kept at it until I figured out a way I like it. Here Goes:
Neca’s “Sexed Up” Oatmeal
Make up a batch of oat groats on the weekend. These suckers take an hour or more to cook, so don’t leave this for Monday morning!
During the week: Make up ½ a serving of old fashioned oats (I do mine in the microwave) – then stir in a half a serving of the oat groats. I can’t eat the groats alone yet – the texture is still a little odd for me. But they are even healthier, so I like to use them. Steel cut oats are a good in between.
Add any or all of the following:
A dash of skim milk
Sugar free pancake syrup
Chopped nuts
Ground flax seed
Wheat germ
Frozen mixed berries (my favorite), raisins, craisins, or dried fruit
A little bit of granola (I buy this in bulk so I can try different flavors and I don’t add a lot because this can be pretty high in calories. So I buy small quantities).
By the time you’ve added that much stuff, you can’t really taste the oatmeal at all! And it winds up coming in around 300 calories a bowl. I try to keep breakfast between 250 and 300 calories so it will hold me until my mid morning snack, but leaves enough calories for the rest of the day.
That's pretty sexed up, IMO. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment