Thursday, June 23, 2005

Money Causes Christmas, and Catching Up on Me

People get easily confused by all the seemingly endless and contradictory studies. It’s no wonder we all want to throw up our hands and eat a twinkie. Here is my favorite statistical story:

Every year at the beginning of the fourth quarter, the government releases additional paper cash into the economy. Every December, Christmas happens. Therefore, money causes Christmas, right? You might not have known that little nugget about the release of currency, but I bet you quickly figured out that the gov’t does it in order to facilitate Christmas shopping.

People frequently confuse correlation and causation – but just because two events occur together, doesn’t not mean that A causes B. B might cause A, or even C – who got left out of the study. Statistics are very useful (thus sayeth the statistician) but if you torture them enough, they say whatever you please. That’s why I take all the studies with a huge grain of salt. People tend to use them to back up whatever they believe.

Weight gained on vacation: 2.5 pounds. Not too shabby!

My exhaustion level: Beginning to subside. By next week I should be normal.

My stress level: Work is insane, but it will end in a couple of days. Hub seems happy with the new job, which makes me happy.

Music makes me happy. I like a lot of stuff, but this is what I am listening to at work these days: http://www.energy927fm.com/ Good stuff!

The boy’s belt test went great last night. Tonight is the awards ceremony and pizza party. I’ve bought everything but the ice, collected the $$, and just need to order the pizza at lunchtime today. Then he’s off for the summer!! Woo hoo! Freedom for mommy!!!!

No comments: