Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Food, Exercise, & My friend

So, I walked 3 times yesterday for a total of 6.5 miles. I also lifted weights (tris, bis, & shoulders). It was pouring rain this morning, so no run. :-( I’ll hit the elliptical or something when I go to the gym after work today.

Food yesterday was weird. Total calories: 1360. I did NOT plan enough food, and three times was so hungry I had to add in something. So, I was a bit unrealistic in my planning. However, I ate pretty darn healthy, so that is good. For the curious:

After run: popsicle (15) – extra – I woke up hungry
Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs & beef chorizo (190)
Snack: 4 c air popped popcorn & baby carrots (85)
Lunch: green beans & okra from cafeteria (100), soy ‘chicken’ patty & dip (180)
Snack: 4 c air popped popcorn & nectarine (127)
Snack: chocolate milk (150) again, not planned
Snack: popsicle (15)
Dinner: Gorton’s grilled fish fillet (100), can of turnip greens (123)
Snack: fudgecicle & beer (NOT together!) (140)
Snack: tomato sandwich (125) – I could not go to bed this hungry. I just couldn’t

I am proud of how many veggies I ate and I limited my low quality carbs. Well, until that sandwich – I was so hungry and of course I never have any good snackie stuff in my house (with good reason!). Once I counted it all up, I realized there was plenty of room for a couple of add-ins. Everything is the same for the rest of the week, except lunch veggies are from home for the rest of the week, so they are lower calorie. I’ll probably have a sandwich again tonight – just not that close to bed (I think it was 8:30 or so when I ate that).

A friend of mine just had WLS. I think she is one of the people who will be successful with it. She is talking about how much she is looking forward to going running and was asking for web sites with food ideas etc. Several people here at work have had it now – the ones who embrace changing their life seem to do very well. The ones who don’t seem to struggle more.

I was reading the web site of a man who chose to follow the diet without having the surgery. He had the same loss as a WLS patient, without the cost, missing work, etc. Still, to follow a diet that strict is pretty amazing. I don’t think I could do it.

1 comment:

vj said...

Man, the tomato sandwich sounds good. Yum! Good for you for having such a good day!