Monday, August 01, 2005

Neca’s “I Need Chocolate” Muffins

I made this recipe up this weekend. These are healthy enough for breakfast, but decadent enough to fill in when the only thing keeping you from re-enacting a scene from “The Road Warrior” with your minivan is some chocolate!

1 c + 2 T buttermilk
1 c oats
½ c packed brown sugar
¼ c splenda
½ c oat bran flour
½ c whole wheat flour
½ c cocoa powder
½ t salt
1 ½ t baking powder
½ t baking soda
snack cup apple sauce (1/3 c I think)
3 T mini chocolate chips
2 oz chopped nuts (optional)

Note: You can use any kind of flour – I used this to up the fiber.

Pour buttermilk over oats & let stand for 5 minutes.
Stir in the egg, sugar, splenda, & cocoa powder.
Next add apple sauce, then all dry ingredients but flour. Then add flour & mix.
Add nuts & chips last.

Spoon into 12 muffin cups & bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.

No comments: