Parents look forward to summer too!
I love summer. The funny thing is, as an adult I love many of the same things I loved as a child. For example: no homework. Do you know how tired I am of asking about, helping with, nagging, quizzing, and internet surfing – all in the name of homework? No, I am not a mom that does her child’s homework. But I have to make sure it’s done, quiz on material, help some with the internet (although he is getting much better), etc etc. Just being supportive is tiring!
Also, free time. I had those really cool childhoods where we belonged to the pool down the road and I’d go spend weeks with my grandparents having all sorts of cool adventures. Staying with my grandparents are some of my happiest childhood memories. My cousin & I would stay, and then my mom & uncle would take time off work & come & spend time with all of us going to the beach or something. It was magical.
My son enjoys similar experiences. His grandpa lives about an hour away, and his grandma a half hour. His uncle (my ex step brother) lives down the street from his grandpa. His summers are spent at the lake - kayaking, fishing, swimming, and hanging out with pals. Because the hub & I both work, he spends the week with a grandparent, going back & forth as schedules & vacations dictate.
He loves it, and we love the extra time it gives us during the week. I can come in early enough to leave at 3, or come in late & stay late. I make my husband & I 2 meals apiece, which we simply heat up at our convenience – no cooking dinner every night! Summertime I get a taste of what life without kids is like - it’s the best of both worlds! I have a terrific son, but freedom & flexibility during the week. Sweet! Yay for free time!
Today is my son’s last day of school. Woo hoo! It’s been a challenging year in many ways. We are both so ready for the break! It was a combination of school and the age. As we enter into the teen years, I fear for our sanity: his, mine, and the hub’s.
I didn’t get to the gym last night – the boy had gone home with a friend, and they were at the house waiting as I turned off at the exit ramp. Oh, and we went out to eat, but I made a decent choice. So, not an on track evening, but not a huge disaster either. Back to the gym today to work out with trainer #2.
There is a yoga class at 9:30 Saturday that I’m gonna check out. I really need to up my exercise (IMO) – 3 HIIT sessions and 3 weight sessions are good. I wish I could ride my bike to work!!! But the traffic is just too bad. Maybe hit some evening classes at the gym and do my HIIT in the am? There are no early morning classes at the gym – how weird is that???
We are having a departmental off-site tomorrow, so have a good weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment