What’s new?
How are things going? I’m doing okay. I will tell you, this has been an interesting couple of weeks. I decided to eliminate snacks. I eat a healthy breakfast and lunch, and if I’m going to the gym I will have a pre-dinner snack before I go (we eat dinner when we get home from the gym).
For a long time (a decade?), I’ve always packed 2 snacks in with my lunch: one for mid-morning, and one for mid-afternoon. Now, these were generally healthy snacks of appropriate size, but I realized after reading “Eat to Live” and “The End of Overeating” that what I’ve done is train myself to eat pretty much all day.
I have breakfast, then 2-3 hours later I’m having a snack. I get hungry & twitchy without my snack. Then I have a healthy lunch and take a nice 30 minute walk. Then 2-3 hours later I’m jonesing for my afternoon snack. I would have a hard time focusing if I didn’t get my snack. I felt hungry and restless.
So, 2 weeks ago I cut out the snacks. I won’t lie. I have felt hungry, and restless, and twitchy. I do clock watch a little – especially between breakfast & lunch. But it is getting easier.
I’ve been doing something similar in the evening. I can tell that when I don’t eat an evening snack (which I’ve been eating for as long as I can remember), I find myself looking around – I know it’s getting close to bedtime, but I’m looking for some sort of sign. Because without my evening snack, there’s nothing to tell me it’s time to go to bed. That one has been just as tough, if not tougher.
I’m not saying I’ll never have another snack (I’m sure I will!), but I’m kinda tired of feeling like one of Pavlov’s dogs when it comes to food.
Swim lessons are still going well. Last night I swam 200 meters, then we did some drills & practice, then I ended with 100 meters. I could use any stroke for the laps but I had to do them with no breaks. I did it! Swimming is one hard workout! Hub used the treadmill & spin bike for his workout. I’m so glad he’s back to going with me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Interesting post. I can't give up my snacks...I've tried! I just snack differently now (fruit, nuts, home made muffin etc). I just can't make it through the day and find I get dizzy or lightheaded and somewhat "snarky" if I don't eat...I hear what you're saying though and admire your resolve!
Like the rest of eating, I think snacks are largely individual. I lost over 35 pounds eating 2-3 snacks per day, but this time I think they are working more against than for me. But after years of habitually snacking, it is HARD!!!!
Post a Comment