Monday, October 11, 2010

Easier than I thought

This weekend I tried somethng really radical and daring: I went to back to back classes at the Y. Granted, these were not the toughest of classes - I did AquaFit (aka water aerobics) then had time for a sit in the sauna and nice shower before going to yoga. It was great!

A girl in AquaFit recommended the Wednesday deep water class, and a lady in yoga recommended the Monday "Restorative yoga" class (which I've been wanting to try). It meant I spent all Saturday morning at the gym, but that was okay by me. Yeah, I didn't get all my chores around the house done this weekend, but oh well.

I am really enjoying yoga a lot. I get a little impatient at times, but I just keep trying to focus on the moment and the pose we're doing. This is something that I don't quite view as "exercise" in the sense of burning calories, but I view it as important.

To me, fitness has 3 components: strength, endurance, and flexibility/balance. So if my workouts comtain a combination of cardio, weights, and some flexibility training, I will improve more than if I just focus on one or two components. Especially as I get older, I think that the flexibility is increasingly important. And yoga is relaxing. I think in the past it's been hard for me to justify time spent doing yoga since it doesn't burn a lot of calories.

So, meals this week: breakfast is quinoa and pintos, lunch is an asian flavored cabbage & noodle salad, I'm bringing 2 prunes with peanut butter for the afternoon. Dinners are varied.

The weekend was very nice. I didn't get accomplished everything I wanted to, but I think I simply had too much on my list. Gee, that seems to happen on a regular basis! :-O

Weather here was lovely, maybe a tad warm yesterday (air conditioner is OFF), but really good. Our windows are open as long as possible. Once they get closed and the curtains are shut, it feels like a long time till spring!

Have a good day!

No comments: