Friday, March 14, 2014

A Friday post about sushi - and finding loved unexpectedly

Sushi

Sushi is defined as "a Japanese dish consisting of small balls or rolls of vinegar-flavored cold cooked rice served with a garnish of raw fish, vegetables, or egg."  I define it as "heaven on earth."  I love sushi, but .. rice....

I am bringing this up because recently our cafeteria at work began offering sushi freshly made, right after I started my Whole 30.  I could walk past all the cookies, cakes, and pastries in the world, but the sushi was tough.  One day I stopped to look and discovered that they actually had a roll that was vegetables in the center, surrounded by crab.  No rice!  Which I guess means it technically isn't sushi, but it's close enough for my taste buds!  I plan to try one today.

Love

Several years ago, my husband and I decided that we wanted to get a second little dog to be a playmate to Bess, our chihuahua mix.  The shelter where we lived didn't often have small dogs, but when my mom saw one as the "pet of the week" on the local tv show, she offered to meet me there over my lunch hour to see if we could find a good companion for Bess. 

We found an adorable yorkie mix called "Little Miss Sunshine", who seemed perfect.  I called my husband and we adopted her.  Since she hadn't been spayed, she couldn't come home with us right away.  Later that evening I got a call from the shelter, asking if we had taken the dog home.  I said no, that she had to be spayed.  Turns out she had been stolen from the shelter!

I was very upset.  They offered to let me come in and pick out another dog.  I explained that we were looking specifically for a companion dog for our chihuahua and that they didn't have any other dogs that fit our bill.  The lady said they had a couple of recent intakes that weren't yet out in the general population and that I could come in and get a first look.  Tearfully I agreed.

The next day I again met my mom at the shelter.  We sat in the waiting room and one of the ladies brought out a white jack russell chihuahua mix.  I was concerned she would be a little large to be a friend to Bess, but my mom disagreed.  We played with her for a bit and mom really liked her.  I referred to her as "consolation dog."  But I agreed that this could be the replacement dog.

Well, the rest is history.  Playmate to Bess?  Eh, sometimes.  For the first several months Bess just looked at her in disgust.  I think she's happier being the sole princess and center of the universe, although occasionally she shocks us all by pretending to be a dog and playing with Jordan.

Instead of becoming Bess' best friend, Jordan became mine.  She is the dog of my heart and I am her person.  She loves my husband, she loves my son, but she thinks I make the sun come up each day.  It may seem silly, but that little dog makes my world a better place.

On that note, have a wonderful weekend!



 

3 comments:

Gwen said...

OMG OMG OMG!!! We have three dogs (biggest is 9 lbs, baby/2.5 year old is a 7 lb. chihuahua.) Other two dogs will turn 11 and 9 this year. I deem no more dogs until the oldest two are gone, i.e., never 3 again, BUT I've decided I want the next one to be a Jack Russell. And I love white, fawn, or light beige-and-white dogs! I LOVE JORDAN. :)

neca said...

Me too! She has enough personality for 10 dogs! Because she is a mix she is a tiny bit less high energy and manically focused than a pure bred russell, so she's fine being a family dog v a working dog.

Mrs Swan said...

Awwwwwwww! Kiwi is my little lap guy but he will go to any lap not just mine. The newest Autumn would climb in my skin with me if I let her. She is glued to me non stop! He is 11 lbs she is 15 lbs and then the other two are like 38 lbs and 45 lbs. The plan was 3 till something happened to one then came Buddy and now Autumn. We are full up though!!!! I know someone who's mom is trying to re-home 3 dogs and no thank you! Not even one. LOL