2 for the price of 1
Debra wrote a great post today (which is no different from any other day really) and you should read it! She talks about the importance of setting boundaries and how freeing she finds this. I can relate. I believe we humans were never meant to process the amount of information or choices to which we are regularly subjected. Our brains go into sensory overload. This is the only possible reason I have to explain how I can wander around a house which contains hundreds of movies, CDs, and even more hundreds of books, oh yeah, and craft projects, and still feel bored. It’s like its so much I can’t take it all in.
Which is why I’m glad I’m back at the office, with my cheesy little Weight Watchers food tracker and my points counting and the absence of food other than what I packed in my lunchbox. Too many choices is dangerous for me. I choose it all!
It’s also why I am going to start a marathon training program again. I haven’t picked a marathon to run, but without that structure my running (“running” – there’s a joke – leisurely strolls when the fancy strikes is more accurate) suffers. I plan to start this weekend, use Galloway’s “newbie” schedule, and once I get to 15 miles or so, pick a marathon & commit. I’ve got to do something before my idea of exercise degenerates to driving to the gas station for a 6 pack.
Look for genuine run reports to start appearing soon!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Thanks, Neca. :)
Your compliment was particularly welcome this evening as I had a rather nasty comment left on my blog earlir this afternoon.
I remember reading in a book once that boundaries are often thrown off because they feel so restrictive, but really, they are what keep us from becoming a slave to every impulse.
From your comments, I know you know what I'm talking about!
I wandered over and read Debra's post, I find her thinking is right on. As I mentioned in the post that I left on her blog, I'm lost without structure in my life. I'm kind of an organization freak, I need a plan or a central goal that provides direction. I am however, quite flexible because I know that life keeps putting roadblocks in the way, but thats when having a goal becomes important - you can almost always find another path to take to reach the finish line.
yes, the structure can apply to many things..
When you say it's like too much to take in I also thought of the possibility that people can have *too much money*, where all of that extra cash becomes useless.. I really think one needs to be philanthropist to be rich.. or at least grounded and rich. :T
Maybe that's straying away from the topic of boundaries but that's the tangental thing that came to my mind when you mentioned too much to take in..
Point being, structure can apply to many things.
Post a Comment