Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Back side of the week

Down another half pound! I expect to stall for a day or two, as that seems the way of things with my weight loss, lose big then pause, lose then pause. But that’s ok – the numbers are heading in the right direction and I am so pleased with the progress I am making.


A certain amount of this is vanity – finding clothes when you wear anything over a size 12 is hard IMO. Maybe it’s my body shape – I tend to have big-ish hips at any size, but at higher weights finding clothes that fit and that I like is tough.

But honestly, a lot of it is simply about being comfortable in my body. I like feeling strong and feeling like I can do the things I want – camping, hiking, snorkeling, etc. without being overly limited by my lack of fitness.

And then there’s the fact that I just turned 46 years old and I am on no medications. I don’t need any – and I intend to keep it that way for many years to come. I think many modern medicines do as much harm as good and I simply don’t want to have to go down that path. At the end of the day, whatever motivates you is great for you!

And then there’s the fact that I happen to enjoy moving my body – challenging myself to go harder, faster, or lift more. Ever won a lifting competition? It rocks. Finished a triathlon or road race? Also rocks. Those are moments that I feel truly alive.

How much muscle is too much? There’s no such beastie unless a person is taking so many steroids that her face is beginning to get what I call ”the horsey look”. (And I would still admire the muscles.) Check out the book “The Women” by Bill Dobbins (which I own). Just amazing. I don’t have the desire to do what I would have to do to look like that, but I can be fit and strong and feel good. That’s achievable and valuable to me.

The dentist yesterday was – ugh. Two hours! First the cleaning, the my oral surgeon came over to the dentist’s office so they could look at my mouth together and come up with a plan (I’m losing a bridge because the 2 teeth on either side are dying because they aren’t strong enough to support it). Then they had to make multiple molds (yuck).

I got home worn out and demoralized. I’m guessing this is going to cost in the neighborhood of $8000 out of pocket. Seriously, who has that kind of money these days? Heck, I’ve never had that kind of money just lying around! Ugh. Well, it’s that or wait for the thing to fall out and get dentures. Uh, no thanks.

Last night was cool (I turned on the heat in the car this morning – it was 57. Clearly my blood has thinned). I slept with the windows open and it was so nice. I didn’t want to get out of bed! But I did. Breakfast this week is a big veggie & egg casserole type thing – all I had to do was scoop out a serving to take to the office. For lunch I chopped a tomato, a huge cucumber, and a big orange bell pepper and divided it into 2 produce bags. Then into each bag went a diced grilled chicken thigh and boiled egg. I’ll buy a bed of greens at work from the cafeteria and lunch is done!

Dinner tonight is leftover night. I have vegetable soup with ground turkey and a chicken soup. I’ll make a big salad to go on the side and call it good. I have loads to kale to use up and ends & odds of veggies. The CSA box comes tomorrow so I’ve got to make room in the fridge!

No comments: