First of all, I boot scooted to the gym as soon as work was over. It's funny how somehow you go and it's like "meh" (Monday) and you do the bare minimum. Other nights it's like total amazeballs. That was tonight. I had a super amazing kick ass workout on the elliptical. I climbed off feeling like a million bucks. Which is good since we're getting 5-7 inches of snow or snow & sleet tonight. So tomorrow is an at home workout with the kettlebells. Did I mention I had a good workout? :-) Have I mentioned I really love to work out?? ;-)
Today Gwen wrote a post about her breakfast and asked what other folks typically eat for breakfast. I tend to eat by patterns - not the exact things but general trends. I like to start the day with a solid protein breakfast. I also like to eat vegetables at every meal. And as you all probably know, I prep breakfasts, lunches, & snacks on the weekend for grab and go during the week.
Given those constraints, burgers (or similar) and veggies are eaten most weekdays for breakfast. The nice thing about being a pretty decent cook is that you can take a common base and come up with loads of variations. Not because the cooking is hard, but because you know what flavor combinations to use to create something new.
Here's some different things I generally prepare:
Burgers, mini meat loaves, or meat balls - which if you think about it, are really all the same thing: a lump of meat with some items added in (or not) and maybe covered in sauce (or toppings). From that I create:
southwest (avocado & salsa)
italian (marinara sauce, some mozzarella and/or parm, basil etc)
Greek (seasonings mixed in, then topped with tsaziki, kalamata olives, red onions, tomato, cucumber)
traditional meatloaf - I like a light sauce of bbq sauce and ketchup
traditional burger - cheese, mustard, ketchup, pickled beets
fake salisbury steak - keep it plain and top with onions, mushrooms, homemade gravy
korean: kim chi, sprouts, a little soy sauce
See what I mean? Pick a type of food, figure out what defines that flavor for you, and pile it on top a hunk of meat! :-) I also add veggies alongside - spiralized or sliced zucchini, frozen green beans or broccoli tossed onto a cookie sheet and roasted.
There you have it - 7 different breakfats with a bag of frozen veg and a package of ground meat. Eggs are okay, but I don't want to take the time to cook them and they don't reheat well.
Have a good evening!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Those are great options! Right now I'm loving my salmon burgers -- eaten solo as a snack, added to a big green salad for a substantial yet light lunch, or accompanied by vegetables and quinoa for a heartier, filling dinner. Burgers are so versatile!
MEATBALLS FOR BREAKFAST.
YOU are a genius!!! :)
PlumPetals - you are so right. I make salmon burgers too - love them! And sometimes for breakfast I do a piece of baked fish & veg.
Gwen: Thank you! :-) I don't know about genius, but I'm not tied to the concept of traditional breakfast for breakfast!
Thats a great idea. I think I will give it a try this week. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment