Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Shocking News: Food Relieves Stress


Wanna know why people turn to food when they are stressed? Because it works! Ha! I mean, it has unpleasant side effects – weight gain and all that. But hey, its cheaper and more convenient than going down & getting a prescription for Prozac. Besides, does Prozac work as quickly as pretzels? Didn’t think so.

I’m not talking about true depression here. I’m talking about temporary, event related stress. Food helps. While I’m not endorsing this method, I’m not going to criticize you if it helps you get through a rough spot. And I think a giant pretzel and a couple of beers (used occasionally) is better for me than medication. Certainly helped last night, thanks very much.

Having said that, we have agreed to go to a marriage counselor to help us talk out how we deal with money. Let’s just say my husband’s family didn’t offer him many role models for good communication skills. And I’m no saint either. And I would rather work together now when we are having a little conflict, rather than 5 years down the road when we are having a really big conflict. I think of this as an investment in our future.

Here was my day yesterday:

Exercise:
3 mile run. I was tired (maybe it was that 7:40 pm yoga class Monday night), but physically I felt fine. But mentally it was not my best run.

B: egg mcmuffin (no cheese) & diet coke
S: 2 low fat string cheeses
L: big old salad with tuna and garbanzos
S: grapefruit and half a payday
D: homemade “fried rice” with loads of veggies, chicken, and shrimp
S: 2 beers and a giant soft pretzel

There are days I feel so fit, and then there are times…… ugh. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror at yoga Monday night. I really do want to lose weight. I know I sabotage myself at times, but I also know that the way I live now is a way I can live forever, compared with “being on a diet”.

Tonight I am swimming after I lift weights. Did I mention Monday’s session was good? Chest & triceps on Monday. Tonight is back & biceps. My shoulders are looking good. Just need to up the old cardio.

No comments: