Monday, October 04, 2004

You Can Learn a Lot Handing out Donughts

So, our annual Employee Giving Campaign kicked off today, encouraging people to give to various charities (you pick your own of course!). To make people aware, we were handing out donughts and coffee as people came in the building this morning.

First of all, I work about 15 miles from Krispy Kreme HQ, so that is what we were handing out. And also, I realize that where I work (a call center) is not exactly a cross section of America - the vast majority of jobs here take "sedentary" to new heights.

It was very interesting to see what sort of people took donughts, compared with the ones that walked by after saying "No thanks." I think I wanna be in the "no thanks" group. While I don't believe Krispy Kreme is the root of all evil, I am grateful I don't really like them because they are a prime example of all that is wrong with food choices in America.

A fabulous weekend - loads of hiking, and a short run. House in awesome shape with steam-cleaned rugs. Two decadent restaurant meals consumed, along with 12 beers (over the course of the weekend). I'm not sure even 4.5 hours of hiking (some pretty strenuous) plus a 2 mile run offset lasagna one night and hush puppies and artichoke dip (yes, that was my dinner) the next. Groan. I deserve a stomach ache.

I am going to step class and lift weights tonight. Why must my 4 days of pristine eating merely offset my weekends????

On the plus side, this is hubby's last week out of town! Now, he has no work lined up for next week (the price of having his own business), but I am just grateful this is coming to an end. One cause of stress eating eliminated.

Also on the bright side: our big August vacation is always immediately followed by the boy going back to school. Last year I gained 10 pounds after these 2 events occurred and it took months to get it off. This year, I gained 3 pounds and they are now gone. I am 1.5 pounds away from my lowest weight of the past 3.5 years.

The fat flush got nearly 2 pounds gone - this past week was a holding action, and now for another push. I will not give up.

No comments: