Behold the power of eggs (and other random thoughts)
I’ve noticed that when I eat oatmeal I get really hungry by my morning snack, and am hungry again by lunch. But a couple of eggs chopped up with mustard and a dab of light mayo put the kaibosh on morning hunger, although I do still need that AM snack. Eggs, you are my friend.
If you are reading this, I have a bone to pick with you. Why hasn’t anyone told me about the amazing culinary miracle that is cocoa powder? If I’m hungry before heading to the gym, a glass of milk is a favorite. I wanted chocolate milk yesterday, so I added 1 T of cocoa powder (20 calories) and a packet of splenda to my milk. It was like dark chocolate milk. Yum! Forget about expensive instant cocoa packets this winter. Why have y’all been holding out on me & not telling me about this stuff? And I thought it was just for baking!
Although my toenails are no longer painted T-Mobile pink, I am wearing my Eiffel tower earrings. Which I picked up on a certain very special July weekend, in Paris, in 1991.
I am signed up for spinning class tonight. My husband has announced his intention to go test drive his new shorts by going for a bike ride. Hurray!!!! And he went to the gym with me last night to lift weights. It makes me so happy to see him taking an interest in his fitness.
I feel chubby this morning. I hate that. Also, running this morning was miserable. No breeze, just muck. Ugh.
Renee writes some really great, thought provoking stuff over at her blog. Some writers act as if you talk about the cultural challenges to losing weight, you aren’t taking personal responsibility. I think that’s crap. Does the cashier at BK put a gun to my head & make me eat there? No. But their marketing team tries their very best to convince me to eat there, usually in the evenings when I’m tired & my defenses are down.
If America were a party, we’d be a big family reunion, with tables groaning under the weight of homemade desserts & fried catfish & potato salad etc. And your Aunt Mable would be following you around all day saying stuff like “Don’t you want to try the peach cobbler? I know it was your favorite when you were little. I made it just for you. Don’t you love me??”
Corporate America plays on 2 common (although unattractive) human traits: our desire for instant gratification, and a bizarre sense of entitlement. We all suffer from it to varying degrees, and they play on it. “You work hard. You deserve to let us cook your favorite fried chicken for you.” Doesn’t mean we have to give in to it, but it does make things tough at times.
Right now I am listening to the Pussycat Dolls “Don’t Cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?” Mmmm – that’s the kind of attitude I need to cultivate! *lol*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That's a good point Wendy. I think they do help create that sense of entitlement.
Marketing does wear us down, I think that's why we "cave" when we are tired or upset.
I don't think it makes us weak to admit this is tough - I think it increases our own awareness.
The only way you can counteract this sort of marketing, i think, is to be prepared. Make eggs in the morning so you're not tempted by the enormous omellete sandwich (or whatever they call it). Have a tasty lunch that makes you feel virtuous. Have stuff ready at home so you can throw together a fast delish one dish meal.
That said, i know exactly what you're talking about. Since I've been on the high-protein breakfast kick, I've had no problem staying away from my nemesis, the egg sandwich. But resisting the urge to go out to eat in the evening, when you've had a crappy day and you're tired and you know you'll have to wash dishes before you can cook... well, that's hard. I want to get there, I need to get there, but damn, it's hard.
I know - the commercials are mostly for food! Thank goodness for tivo - I just fast forward through!
Post a Comment