“Fake it till you make it” – and some meal ideas
Renee summed it up perfectly in my comments – and that’s what I’m doing. I’m eating healthy, exercising, and trying not to be bitter that the rest of the country gets to eat deep fried twinkies. (For the record, that sounds gross, and most people LOOK like they go around eating deep fried twinkies.)
Last night we went to the gym for weights (I did arms). Hub was done, so rather than make him wait while I did the elliptical I walked 2 miles at 8 pm last night – it was a tad bit cooler but just as muggy. The heat is supposed to break tomorrow. Exercise and eating: check. Hub is grilling a healthy meal tonight while I go to the gym for chest & back & spinning class.
Attitude, improving. I think it’s the combination of let-down after being so wrapped up in cycling for the past couple of months, and the realization that I’ll never be rich, famous, win a nobel prize in economics, or write a best selling novel. I guess I’ll have to settle for being a good parent & wife & employee & daughter. That doesn’t sound too bad. :-)
I don’t know about you, but in the summer I’m not much of one for cooking. Here’s some simple stuff we’ve eaten this week, in case you are curious or need ideas.
Monday: did some of those Gorton’s frozen “grilled fillets” in the toaster oven (it was too hot to use the big oven). Added some grilled shrimp & grilled veggies.
Grilled vegetables: Zucchini, onions, mushrooms, squash, bell pepper – add either Italian dressing or just a little olive oil& vinegar. YUM!
Tuesday: Quickie red beans & rice, with salad. This is as easy as you want it to be. You can simply heat a can of red beans, adding onion & garlic powder and some Cajun seasoning. Last night I went a little fancier: I sautéed onion, bell pepper, garlic, & celery. Then added some diced light turkey kielbasa (you can also use veggie crumbles or diced chicken), the beans, and Cajun seasoning blend. Serve over rice you picked up from the Chinese place on the way home (just don’t get anything else while you’re there!!)
Tonight hub is grilling some chicken breasts (aren’t boneless skinless chicken breasts a godsend?), vegetables, and corn.
As you can see, the name of the game this week is “Don’t use the kitchen”.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Deep fried desserts are popular at state fairs. That is just wrong on so many levels. Really.
Post a Comment