Friday, July 01, 2005


Edy’s all fruit line popsicles – they aren’t just for humans!

Yes, I shared a popsicle with my dog Carmen, who loved it! She clearly wanted to bite it, but couldn’t figure out how, so she settled for licking it. Too funny! (I'm posting a pic of Carmen).


One pound of beach fat gone. Bye bye pudge. Still 2.5 pounds over my low. Headed the right way though.

The spreadsheet has helped – I have washed my face and flossed/brushed my teeth every single night to earn my little check mark. I will reach my goal of 25 out of 30 boxes checked. My reward is some Oil of Olay eye cream. God I’m getting old!

Workouts are going good. I had a cool run this morning – fartleks, I hate/love you. Accelerated up a hill, then sprinted until my lungs cried uncle. I was mighty red-faced for “only” a 2 mile run. Lifted weights 3 times so far this week – I’m doing legs tonight and an entire upper body tomorrow afternoon. I’m going alone tonight (hub only goes 3 times per week), but we are going together tomorrow. I’ve walked/ran 4 mornings and one evening, and made all my lunchtime walks. Sunday I begin to crank up the intensity.

The part about my dad

Jank, I have to disagree. Family isn’t always there. Maybe they should be, but sadly the ideal and reality fail to align all too often.

1) When I was 10 or 11, I threatened to commit suicide. My dad told my mom he didn’t have enough money to help pay for counseling. (he was building a new house with his new wife)
2) My dad re-married when I was 10. No one knew he had a girlfriend. He mailed me a postcard to tell me.
3) When I was 11, a stranger asked his wife when she was due. (A stranger to me - he was a friend of hers). That’s how I found out I was going to be a sister.
4) When I decided to join the Army, my dad told me it was the worst decision I’d ever made and I would regret it the rest of my life. This is important because of
5) When I found out I was pregnant with my son and decided to get out of the army, my dad told me it was the worst decision I’d ever made and I would regret it for the rest of my life. And that I would wind up flipping burgers because I’d never amount to anything. And that I should get an abortion because I wasn’t competent to be a parent.
6) The last words my dad said to me were “You are the biggest disappointment of my life.”

At best my dad was thoughtless, at worst emotionally abusive. I can’t comprehend what it takes for a parent to behave that way. From what I’ve read, I bet most of you can’t. But it doesn’t mean that these people don’t procreate.

I wrote my dad because at my brother’s wedding my son didn’t know who my father was. That’s his only grandchild. I’d like for them to have a relationship – that’s why I wrote. When Father Bob asked me if I wanted a relationship beyond civility with my dad the answer I gave was no. There are friends and family you let into your circle of emotional vulnerability – you trust those people. I don’t trust my dad to have my interests in mind when he says or does anything. I don’t know him. But his track record stinks.

I’ve done what I can. Now I am working on letting that go. I have other things I need to focus on.

I am working on Monday (my choice). I’m taking a day off later in the month. Then my big vacation next month. I hope all my blogfriends have a great holiday.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Neca,

those are some painful memories. Knowing all this, I'm so very proud that your wrote that letter.

What a beautiful dog!

vj said...

Family can be so hurtful. {{{}}}