All, nothing, or somewhere in between? You be the judge.
I am on a Body For Life e-group. This morning there was a re-posting from a member who was a finalist in a BFL challenge. She was discussing how she worked the program to get the results she did. The moderator also linked to an article discussing the mindset behind the champions, and a joking (but true) description of how to guarantee you won’t be a champion (set no goals, skip workouts, eat cake at the office). But the whole thing got me thinking.
I am following BFL, but in a fairly lackadaisical fashion. I do not weigh my food or obsessively check the nutrient ratios, I could certainly eat cleaner than I do, I include faux beer and chocolate in my diet on a regular basis. These behaviors aren’t going to peel 2 pounds of fat of my body per week, at least not week over week. On the other hand, I don’t go into my free day, slavering at the bit because I’m going to die if I can’t get my pizza fix. I have “less than optimal” foods built into my diet, so that I enjoy them as I go along. This doesn’t feel like a diet to me, it’s just my lifestyle.
On the other hand, we all know how long I stayed stalled. Yes, the weight is (slowly) coming off now, but for how long? If you think of your program (whatever it is) as a sort of sliding scale, where are you? Where am I? The folks that win the BFL challenges are at an 11 on a scale of 0 to 10 – 0 being no effort and 10 being total effort. I don’t want to be at 0, and I can’t sustain a 10 or even a 9 without driving myself nuts and crashing and burning after only a few days. So where is the best place to be?
I’ve spent the last year somewhere around a 2 or 3 if I’m honest with myself. Right now I feel like I’m operating at a 6. I’d like to hover somewhere between 7 and 8 – IMO, that’s a pretty good effort, without making yourself obsessive or nuts.
I like BFL because it’s a program that doesn’t require excessive weighing or measuring. For most people, a certain amount of measuring is needed until you get your eyeballs adjusted and can make accurate estimates of portions. On the other hand, I can’t help but feeling like I would see better, more, faster results if I did a bit better on my food. Exercise-wise, I feel like I’m right on. For example, choosing more veggies in place of some of the whole grains. Having either a piece of dark chocolate OR a faux beer, just not both. I’m wondering if a few little tweaks wouldn’t pay off. But I don’t want to turn into one of those obsessive people who slice up a cuke to put their tuna salad (FF mayo only!) on so they can eliminate the 5 whole wheat Ritz crackers from their snack. I guess I’m wondering where I need to draw my line. What are good choices, and what is “over the line”? And how sad is it that I don’t know the answer to that question?
Maybe I’m just feeling bad that yesterday didn’t turn out as I had hoped. Yep, I got up and walked. But I was running late and feeling fatigued, so I skipped cooking breakfast and took the boy & me to Sonic. I had a diet limeade and a ham & egg sandwich (no cheese). A little over what I normally eat, a bit high on the fat, and there’s that white bread, but not too bad.
There was breakfast at the meeting which I knew ahead of time to avoid (no protein), but I did indulge in a fourth of a pecan sweet thingie. No biggie, right? I had my snack, so when we went to lunch I wouldn’t be famished. I limited myself to 3 nacho chips with some topping and one cracker with crab dip from the load of appetizers ordered. I had French onion soup for lunch (left about a third of the cheese) and a grilled chicken Caesar salad (no parm, dressing on the side). We didn’t get dessert, so when we got back I did have another third of that pecan thing because I wanted something sweet. Afternoon snack was skipped because we got out of the meeting late.
Because I got out of the meeting late and had to get the boy, I missed my chance to hit the gym. Hub was working late, so I figured we’d go out. We went out for Chinese with another family. Actually that was no problem – I ordered steam veggies with tofu & chicken, steamed rice and sauce on the side. I didn’t eat much of the rice at all, but I did use all of the general tso’s sauce on my meal and then ate a fortune cookie. Have you ever seen a fortune cookie with a nutrition label? I read this one after I’d eaten the cookie – 210 calories and 10 grams of fat! Good lord! How do they squeeze all that into that tiny, crisp cookie???
After we got home we took a walk, and I had a faux beer. All day long I made a series of “pretty good’ choices. But are they “good enough” to get me the results I want? I know it was just one day. But it’s our response to a series of decisions every single day that determines the outcomes we create for ourselves.
I’ve made a lot of positive changes lately – I’ve majorly curtailed my consumption of both beer & diet soda. I’ve cleaned up my evening snacking in a bit way. Am I just being impatient, or am I expecting more payoff than I’ve earned? I don’t know the answer to any of this, but I definitely want these thoughts at the front of my brain – as long as they don’t keep me up at night!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hey, you know what will drive you crazy, and what won't. Don't drive yourself crazy. I agree, setting goals on eating and weight loss and exercise are good, but I don't think--and I may well be in the minority--that it's worth going OCD about. You already have a fulltime job, a husband, a child -- how much more work do you need? {{{}}}
No matter what the plan, I'm with you, sticking to it 100% is tough. Any plan should allow flexibility. What works for you may not work for others. One idea might be to behave or stick to the plan extremely close on days with now workouts and relax a little on the days you put in exra effort to workout.
Some people also find it easy to stick with a program Weekdays and then relax a bit on the weekends.
I think an "in between" approach is best, e.g. concious eating with restraint, but also flexibility and a few treats along the way. It takes longer to lose weight, but what you lose usually stays off. At least this has been my experience over the last several years. I've lost a lot of weight before in my life, but always quickly without looking at changing the lifestyle. As a result I always gained it back after a few years. This time (for the first time) I am trying to change the entire lifestyle including healthier and focused eating, exercise etc. Time will tell if this is the way to go.
6-7 is sustainable for a couple of months; but a 3-5 is about all I think "normal" people can sustain...
Post a Comment