Wednesday, January 28, 2015

What's it all for?

A comment Gwen left this morning about the pic I posted wanted to me explain where I was coming from when I posted it.

As I get older, more and more I think about things like "what is important to me?" and "what difference will I make"?

I don't plan to be buried, but if I were to have a gravestone, I wouldn't want it to say "she got to yoga consistently".

Health is important, VERY important, but only insofar as it allows us to do the things that matter to us.  Maybe that's playing with your kids or grand-kids, or your volunteering, or the small business you run, or your church.  Whatever your priorities are, I hope you are alive & well and able to contribute to that in a meaningful way for as long as possible.

I want that for me too!  And as I get older, I'm less and less inclined to "spend" my time and energy on things that aren't really important.  Don't get me wrong, I still watch tv and sports.  I'm not saying every second has to be spent doing something of earth shattering importance.  But I don't want to look back and regret that I got so caught up in the lives of the Kardashians that I don't feel like I made much of a difference.

Wow.  Deep thoughts!  But that's where I'm coming from.  Take care of yourself so you can get the most out of your life.  As far as I know, we only get one. :-)

The scale was down another 2.2 pounds.  So I'm still up half a pound from the low I got to a couple of  weeks ago, but firmly moving in the right direction again.  January isn't going to be a spectacular month, but I'm trying to focus on the individual choices and trust that as long as I am moving in the right direction, I'm doing well!

Okay, eating dinner then off to the gym!  Maybe some tv watching later - we are watching season 1 of "Eureka".  Be well! :-)

3 comments:

Gwen said...

Everything I do...health-wise....is to give me more (*quality AND quantity) time with loved ones/family. First and foremost. :)

neca said...

Absolutely Gwen! Couldn't agree more!

Jack said...

Hi Neca, I can really relate to your thoughts. I think as we pass the “half time” of our life this thinking dominates our lives as we realize our time on earth is really only a vapor, and we begin to reorganize our priorities to allow more time for what really matters. I have been reorganizing my priorities over the last couple years, less marathons, less time doing sports (although my wife says it is still more than what “normal” people do) and blogging has pretty much dropped off the horizon, although I still enjoy reading some of my favorite blogs (like yours). Keep up the good work with you weight loss, you’re doing far better than I am!