I do not like green eggs and ham. I don’t much care for yellow ones either.
I don’t much like eggs. I recognize that they are inexpensive, convenient, and an excellent source of almost pure protein. But I just don’t like to sit down to a plate of them. I’ll take my heresy one step further and assert that I’m not a huge fan of breakfast food in general. Given the choice between an omelet and a bowl of spaghetti, I’m on the spaghetti - even at 7 am. Breakfast for dinner has a huge fan club, but dinner for breakfast? I’m alone in the wilderness.
Why am I bringing this up? Sometimes I get so sick and tired of planning, you know? Try planning balanced meals & snacks when you don’t like eggs for breakfast or cottage cheese for anything. Do you know I’ve been planning my meals for a good 6 years now? I know that I’ll be doing it for the rest of my life. Some days that thought just depresses me. Most of the time I recognize that healthy, balanced, appropriately sized meals don’t happen by accident. Meal planning isn’t exclusively the realm of the dieter- it’s the realm of the performance athlete, the body builder, - anyone trying to make their body look like anything other than a pillow.
The other night when we went out to supper, I ordered grilled shrimp and a deviled crab, with baked potato and slaw. My husband and son both ordered fried stuff. My son remarked, “See mom, this is how normal people eat.” To which I replied, “ You’re right. And that’s why we’re the fattest nation in the world.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, any day, any time of the day.
So. true. I sometimes find myself feeling pretty resentful at dinner...especially when my husband and kids are chowing down on something especially yummy that I can't have. And then, I find myself feeling exasperated when I hear my husband say he can't lose weight "no matter how hard he tries." Not that he needs to lose much....but still....it is so hard not to roll my eyes sometimes.
I find it helps to have a standard menu for each meal and snack. For example, breakfast (protein, grain, fruit, beverage); lunch (protein, grain, raw vegetables, fruit, beverage); dinner (appetizer/salad, protein, grain, cooked vegetables, fruit/dessert, beverage); snack (fruit/raw vegetables/vegetable juice/whatever). You know what you like; you can substitute any kind of grain, for instance, from cereal to toast to scones or what-have-you. With standard menus, at least you won't have to start from square one every day.
Oh my gosh, you don't like eggs! I am longing for eggs, I can't even tell you. I'm very fond of dinner for breakfast as well. Though on the plan I'm on now, they recommend you have a salad for breakfast if you want to lose weight. I do, but that would make three salads a day for me...
Post a Comment