Wednesday, April 11, 2018
Can you relate? And - our triumphant return!! :-)
I was reading an article on MSN and at the bottom they had one of their slideshows - this one about some of the gals in the upcoming People magazine "half their size" edition. Here's a brief quote about one lady (Megan): "she was drinking five or more cans of soda a day, eating large quantities of food, and stopping at the drive-thru daily."
I can't even relate to that. I mean, being overweight yes, but those habits? I'm not judging this person or their lifestyle. AT ALL. And I know a lot of people find these stories inspirational - in a way I do too. Obviously I eat too much or I wouldn't be overweight, but I've never been a soda addict or eaten fast food on even a regular basis. I view these stories the way I see the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" - extreme examples. And good on them for losing the weight, but I think it also feeds into a false narrative that somehow this is what all or most overweight people are doing, when I think that's not true. I think a lot of us make a handful of poor choices consistently, and that's enough to add up. But I could be totally off base!
Last night we lifted weights for the first time in FOREVER. The good news is that neither of us decreased on any of our weights for the exercises, and we were able to complete the scheduled workout! My back was stiff at the end and T was sore this morning, but we did it! And at lunch today I went to Anytime for a cardio workout (I went Monday as well).
One thing I've been slacking on is my veggie consumption. I knew I wanted to do something about that so I bought several cans of these:
I chose low cal varieties (squash, okra and tomatoes (no corn) etc). I'm adding a half can into my lunch box. Yes they have salt added, but they are an easy way to get back into the habit of eating vegetables. I've been in a rut and this is giving me a break while I look for new vegetable ideas. I haven't met many vegetables I don't like (except fennel. And arugula.), so I have a good variety to choose from, I'd just gotten in the habit of buying the same ones and preparing them in the same old way. So I have some homework.
Also, I hate to jinx it, but spring may actually be here! (shhh).
Take care.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I agree with you. I can't relate to ever being big enough that I could lose half my weight and still be alive. My biggest problem is eating moderately on a day to day basis, every day. As you said, a bit too much here or there can add up. I'd love to lose 10-15 lbs but the closet to goal weight you get, that's when it's the hardest.
P.S. I always hated Biggest Loser because it seemed the bigger people had an unfair advantage to "win" the competition because it was based on percentage of weight loss. If a 300 lbs person loses 10 percent, that person still has a lot to lose. A 200 lbs person can lose 10 percent and be close to goal weight. So it never made sense to me. Plus the diet was so restrictive and the exercise so extreme, it was not sustainable.
Post a Comment