Monday, February 14, 2005

Random Monday Stuff

I am glad I signed myself up for that thing with Jeff Galloway. I really want to ask him about my feet. My feet hurt after I run. Like, I had to ice my feet because the bottoms (espeically the heels) were so sore. Is this normal? I don’t want to wind up with plantar fascitis again this year.

My husband loved his gift. I gave it to him Friday night so he could go to class Saturday while I was running. He went to the 9 am class. He ran into the dad of one of our son’s classmates, who was headed in for the 11 am class. I guess Bikram is “manly” yoga.

Besides feeling much more relaxed after yoga (he didn’t even realize how stressed he was until he did that class), I gave him the go-ahead to take his bike in for repairs. It’s going to cost around $400. Ouch! But he will need it for the tri, and he needs to start riding to get ready for the tri, and biking is a big stress relief for him. He even wants to take it out of town with him so he can ride some – which I think is a great idea.

Saturday’s 10 mile run was rough. Beyond rough really. Like, I don’t remember a run that hard, ever. I ate a larger than normal but healthy dinner Friday night. Got up and had half a kashi bar with water. This may have been mistake #1. I can’t eat a whole kashi bar before I run (I get acid reflux), but next week I will switch to a whole Zone bar. A little more, but hopefully not too much. Also, I spilled the iced tea so I had no caffeine! ARGH!

I am still running loops in the neighborhood – hilly and boring, but safe. I set my jug of cranwater and bottle of Hammer gel on the mailbox post, and off I went. The first 2 miles were typical warming up – getting used to the notion of running. The next 2 miles were the best of the run – the sun was coming up and everything was just preternaturally bright. The neighborhood was quiet, the birds were chirping, the air smelled good. At the 4 mile mark I stopped for more water (I always stop for water) plus a potty break & some Hammer gel. Have I ever mentioned how skanky that stuff is? Anyway, the next 2 miles were also good, but by mile 7, I was feeling tired. By mile 8 I was sad. I stopped at the house and used more gel, plus had another potty break. Talking myself out of just stopping for a quick nap on the toilet was hard. I finally convinced myself that if I had to, I could walk the last 2 miles. I actually made it, with only the normal walk breaks.

After the run, I ate a peanut butter sandwich (Rebecca’s suggestion – it does make a great post-run snack!) and took a bath. The hubster got home from yoga and we went to eat at an Indian buffet. I didn’t go overboard, but ate well. Then we went to the bike shop, where I fell asleep in the car for 30 minutes! That’s how long my husband was in there discussing repairs.

I didn’t have a blinding headache, and I did manage to do stuff that day after the run (unlike some days), but I clearly bonked during the run. It’s either my food or the fact that my doctor switched my neurotransmitter supplements so I take more at night. I am adding more pre-run food, will stop every 2 miles for gel next weekend and see if that helps.

On the food front: much better weekend! I had a “free” meal Saturday night – an unplanned trip to a Mexican restaurant. Last night I had popcorn & 2 beers. So, nothing too dreadful. This week is pretty strict. Here’s the plan:

B: smoothie or oatmeal
S: 1 string cheese & veggie sticks
L: salmon or tuna with garbanzos & greek vinegarette. ½ serving of rice-a-roni, and steamed veggies.
S: 1 string cheese & an apple. Cauliflower soup.
D: tv dinner & salad.

I got up and walked 2 miles this morning – hubby walked the first mile with me. I think he is finding his groove back. I hope so!

No comments: