Wednesday, February 16, 2005

You will work for me!

I realized something this morning while out on my morning walk: I don’t want to be a slave to food – I want food to be a slave to me. Serving my purposes, meeting my needs, fueling my body so I can do the things I want.

So, it’s time for a “flip” in my thinking. I think that has started the past couple of days. Part of the problem is that food has always served as entertainment and reward etc., as well as fuel. I’ve given it too many hats – no wonder it’s running the show. Food is certainly a pleasure – I’m not saying that is wrong. But there has to be a better balance.

The past couple of days I have looked at food as fuel primarily. I’ve been working out harder than usual, and my eating has been more regimented than usual. I’ve added a post workout glass of chocolate milk or a morning serving of soy chips if I’ve needed it – I’ve been getting exercise 4 times a day (2 “exercise” sessions and 2 “pleasure walks”). So I haven’t been starving myself – but I’ve been fueling my workouts rather than holding a “party in my mouth” multiple times a day.

The weekends are the hardest for me. Partly because I work too hard on the weekend and I use food as a reward. And partly because I have conditioned myself to believe that it’s okay to sit in a chair if I am eating, but wrong if I am just sitting there.

Time to work on my thinking.

Yesterday was good: 2 mile run before work, 30 minute walk at lunch, swim after work, ½ mile walk with the dogs & husband after dinner. Food was on plan, with a post swim serving of chocolate milk. Swimming makes me ravenous!

I need to sit down and plan my eating for the weekend. Once again, I have a lot to do, but I have a plan. If I plan my eating now, I should be able to stay on track.

I am wearing my smallest pair of size 14 jeans and they are comfortable. My smallest jeans I own are 10s – I am getting there.

1 comment:

Megan said...

I'm very impressed by your discipline and dedication. Good work!