Tuesday, May 09, 2006

The meaning of yesterday’s post – or, Jack’s dropping a hobby and I might pick one up

Losing weight (for me), is sort of like trying to pick up a handful of live goldfish – grab too hard and watch them slip through your fingers. I’ve been so focused on losing weight, like that’s the end all be all, I find I’m looking so hard at the outcome that I’m not watching the process. I think I need a fitness goal to keep my exercise on track, and also a weight goal to help keep the food part of the equation on track.

After the post vacation derailment, I’ve developed a pretty good plan for eating that I believe will get me where I want to be. I’m riding my bike some, running (well, walking with running breaks!), and lifting weights. But my only fitness goal right now is “lose weight”. To that end, I am considering adding martial arts into the mix. This will compliment cardio and strength training, as well as provide some flexibility training into the mix. It will also give me a focus other than the scale.

This isn’t a “sure thing”, but I plan to go & watch a class Thursday to see if this is something I think I might enjoy. If I had the answers, I’d be at goal by now. I should at least get some credit for persistence! :-)

No comments: