Thursday, May 11, 2006

Sometimes, the old ways are the best

1. For this morning’s run the air was heavy with the scent of honeysuckle… and with humidity. While we haven’t achieved “sponge” status, the humidity (and wearing my long running pants instead of shorts) definitely impacted the quality of running this morning. Ugh.

2. I am sleeping much better lately. Relaxation CD, taking medicine at different time, voodoo sacrifice… something worked.

3. We have a whole bunch of elk and deer in our freezer, but none of it is ground. I told my mom last week I was thinking of getting a meat grinder, and she told me she had my grandparents’. Last night I needed some ground meat for soup I’m making in the crockpot for dinner today, so I set it up and in about 5 minutes had a pound of gorgeous course ground deer. It’s the old fashioned kind that mounts onto the edge of the counter & has a hand crank. I’m never buying ground anything again!

4. I am so sick of eggs! I’ve nearly gagged on them the past couple of mornings. I don’t like to do protein shakes, so I’ve felt limited in my breakfast choices. But no one ever said I had to eat breakfast for breakfast! I mean, all 3 of us eat a healthy breakfast at home, but we all eat something different. Next week I’m having lentil soup with shredded chicken. Of course the dogs will hate me because they get all the yolks I don’t eat. (I usually make 1 egg + 3 whites).

5. Tonight I am going to check out the jiu-jitsu class. I’m excited! I hope its something I would like doing.

6. Since the boy had tae kwon do yesterday, my time at the gym was limited. I managed to sneak in a quick upper body. I did the workout with all free weights on a single bench, working circuit style with little or no rest between exercises. Then I finished with a set of push-ups. Not the very best, but I’m a touch sore today, so that’s a good thing.

7. It has rained every Sunday we’ve been home since the week we got the boat. How’s that for bad luck? I’m taking that sucker out this weekend!

8. We had company over for supper last night. I managed to do a good job with my food choices. I’ve been tired of my food this week, so I know I need some changes next week. Yeah, it’s a pain to check recipes etc, but it’s a lot better than not enjoying my food. Plain and simple is fine, as long as it’s different. And I’m in a food rut this week for sure!

9. I have a notebook – small enough to fit in my purse but big enough to write in. I’m keeping track of things I want/need to do, and my exercise. I’ve just started this this week, but so far I like it. I don’t journal my food because I eat the same thing every day for a week, and the week before its been pre-measured & packaged. As long as I don’t snack at night I’m golden. Last night I did have a sugar-free ice cream and a faux beer, but that kind of “cheat” I can live with a couple times a week.

10. I plan to have the world’s quietest, most restful day Saturday. Because I need it!

1 comment:

Jack said...

I had to give up on eggs after eating them for breakfast too many times in a row, ugh! I always do pushups before and after my runs (along with situps and crunches) - pushups are a good thing. Enjoy your restful Saturday!